Saving custom iFile tweaks to apply after iTunes restore

Discussion in 'Cydia Apps' started by snowtrooper1966, May 24, 2012.

1. snowtrooper1966

Gold

I have seriously 'jacked Mindi's thread about the eminent release of JB for 5.1.1

I had asked about saving iFile data:

I was considering doing the same, as I have my iPhone fairly tweaked out.
    I've never had this level of customization, but have had just a few minor crashes over the past few months. Not even sure those could be attributed to the jailbreak.
    My biggest concern is the tweaking I've done in iFile. You know what a hard time I had getting my custom "slide to unlock" sound to stick....
    I've never done a restore and rejailbreak with iFile data. Does that save separately or carry over with PKGBackup?

And got some good replies, but wanted to take it here and stop stepping on her thread...

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You can save your custom files (that were not downloaded in Cydia) with iFile or DiskAid. I keep a jailbreak folder on my desktop. Right before I restore, I use DiskAid to copy all of my themes, custom tones, etc. Then I restore, rejailbreak and drag them back into the file system.

3. snowtrooper1966

Gold

So I need to individually save each custom tweak file to my PC and reinstall them into the file system architecture?

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You don't have to install them. They are just custom sounds and themes, not apps and tweaks, right? Just copy them to the desktop and drag them back in. iTunes backs up the files, but I recommend saving them to your computer so you don't have to rely on that backup.

5. snowtrooper1966

Gold

In reality, it's just the 2 (my "slide to destroy" unlock sound that u helped me with and a custom starwars image pillaged from another theme that replaces the stock notes image) that I m trying to "save" so I don't have to go through the trouble of applying them through iFile again.

Just surprised that there seems to be no option to do that for iFile changes.

Just a bit leery since it took so long to figure out, even with your expert guidance.

I did try to apply the custom snowtrooper WiFi icon you made for me, following your instructions, but never did get that to work.
    Was planning on bring that up in my iFile nOOb thread when I had some time
    I suppose if I spent more time in iFile I'd start to feel more comfonrtable.
    All on all, not a huge deal. As I ssid, surprised there does not seem to be a way to save changes (location and name) made im my device filesystem achetecture via iFile.
    I do have the sound and image file saved on my PC already.....

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You'd be surprised how much jailbreak data iTunes backs up in the iTunes/iCloud back up. That being said, it's still a good idea to keep your own copy. Sometimes the files get overwritten, the backup itself could be corrupt or you may just need to restore to factory settings. What I suggest doing is changing the name of your unlock file to CustomUnlock.aiff and adding the original back in right before you make your final backup before updating and rejailbreaking. iTunes will most likely back it up. At that point all you need to do is change CustomUnlock.aiff to unlock.aiff and respring. But also make your own copy just in case.

What I do after I figure something out is make notes to remind myself how I did it. Once you have iFile down, it literally only takes a minute to copy the files and paste them back in after the rejailbreak. I'll post some screenshots and directions for backing up files through iFile in a few minutes.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Here are directions for backing up your custom unlock sound.

1. In iFile, go to System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app
    2. Scroll down to unlock.aiff
    3. Select 'Edit' in the upper right corner
    4. Click the circle next to unlock.aiff
    5. Click the email icon at the bottom of the screen
    6. Email the attachment to yourself
    7. Open the email on your desktop and save the file.

Update to 5.1.1 and rejailbreak.

1. Connect your phone to your computer and use DiskAid or SSH to access the file system
    2. Go to System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app
    3. Change the name of unlock.aiff to unlockOriginal.aiff
    4. Drag the custom unlock sound from your desktop to the folder in step 2
    5. Respring

If you get an Attachement Saver App, you won't need DiskAid because you'll be able to save the file from email to the file system on the phone and then move it to the correct folder.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

0877d3ee.jpg

Attached Files:

9. snowtrooper1966

Gold

As always, above and beyond......

I'm guessing that scrennie is an attachment save app. Which one?

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

That's a screenshot of iFile.

11. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Of course, the bottom row of icons (bluetooth in particular, did not recall that as an file transfer option) threw me:

4f962a1e.jpg

I forgot how they change once "edit" is selected.

Attached Files:

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yep, gotta select the edit button first.

13. snowtrooper1966

Gold

You mentioned an attachment saver app?

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I don't think Attachment Saver has worked since 4.x. Some of the stock apps such as Downloads Download Manager allow you to save attachments from email, but I tried saving it with Downloads app last night and it didn't work with the unlock.aiff file. It's hit and miss with different file types so I just use DiskAid now.