Saving on-the-go playlists

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

blacklabel775

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
i love the fact that the iPhone lets you edit your on-the-go playlist by letting you both add and remove songs from the playlist. However, it seems that there is no way to save your on-the-go playlist like you can on iPods. And it also seems that iTunes clears your on-the-go playlist everytime you sync your iPhone, rather than saving it like it does with iPods. Has anyone figured out a way around this or am i going to have to cross my fingers and wait for an update that solves this problem?

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
*Bump*

Hopefully someone in the past 2 1/2 months has discovered the on-the-go playlist and tried to figure out how to save it, even if it requires a hack/mod.

I'd sure like an answer to this question.

Anyone? Anyone?

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
*Bump*

Hopefully someone in the past 2 1/2 months has discovered the on-the-go playlist and tried to figure out how to save it, even if it requires a hack/mod.

I'd sure like an answer to this question.

Anyone? Anyone?
Alx, Im in the same boat you are. I added a ton of songs that I like to listen to at the gym. I got to the gym today and they were all gone. I did a search and found this thread.
I looked it up in the manual and it doesn't say anything about saving the playlist, just how to add, delete and move songs.
It also mentions this about syncing with iTunes...

3​
When you finish, tap Done.
When you make an on-the-go playlist and then sync iPhone to your computer, the playlist is saved on iPhone and in your iTunes library. The first is saved as “On-The-Go 1,” the second as “On-The-Go 2,” and so on. The playlists remain until you delete them from iTunes. To delete a playlist from iTunes, select it and press Delete on your keyboard.

Aug 30, 2007
Ohio
When you make an on-the-go playlist and then sync iPhone to your computer, the playlist is saved on iPhone and in your iTunes library. The first is saved as “On-The-Go 1,” the second as “On-The-Go 2,” and so on. The playlists remain until you delete them from iTunes.
That is how it works for me.
Is iTunes not saving the OTG playlist at all for the original poster?

blacklabel775

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
No, I can save on the go playlists when i sync the iPhone, but i was refering to the ability to save "on-the-go" playlists "on the go" which the 1st generation iPod Video features but the iPhone lacks.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
That is how it works for me.
Is iTunes not saving the OTG playlist at all for the original poster?
I know for me, as soon as I sync, it updates in iTunes, but then erases off my iPhone. So now the on-the-go playlist is blank, even though it has 20 songs in it before I sync'd. Maybe I need to select the on-the-go playlist in iTunes to sync, as well as my other playlists?

Aug 30, 2007
Ohio
I know for me, as soon as I sync, it updates in iTunes, but then erases off my iPhone. So now the on-the-go playlist is blank, even though it has 20 songs in it before I sync'd. Maybe I need to select the on-the-go playlist in iTunes to sync, as well as my other playlists?
You're quite right.
The OTG playlist is initialized on the iPhone each sync. If you select the iTunes copy to sync, it pulls it over to iPhone as a normal playlist, and OTG is still empty.

I think you'll have to consider that your best option. At least your OTG selections are saved somewhere. Shame it doesn't work as you described the iPod worked.

blacklabel775

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Well, I originally posted when I first got my iPhone back in June and noticed that i lacked the ability to save OTG playlists.

Finally,
MNPLight, which i originally downloaded in order to move songs downloaded from Safari (with the help of the download plugin) to the iPod, also gives you the ability to create OTG playlists. Its pretty easy, and you can even name the playlists that you create. On the downside, it seems like MNPLight uses the internet (maybe even wifi only), I have yet to test it.