Say hello to iPopuli

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
I'm in that small group of people that don't know what iPopuli is... let me ask another question, is this app useful? Or another app to install and forget.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I'm in that small group of people that don't know what iPopuli is... let me ask another question, is this app useful? Or another app to install and forget.
iPopuli wasn't an app. It was supposed to be the new name of everythingiCafe.com. At this point, however, it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
iPopuli wasn't an app. It was supposed to be the new name of everythingiCafe.com. At this point, however, it doesn't look like it's going to happen.
I like iCafe better. People looking for an iPhone forum site to get help would have no clue what iPopuli is. iCafe makes better sense for attracting new users. I would have it iPhoneCafe. Or iphonecafe.com. People look for the word iPhone when searching for a site for help.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I like iCafe better. People looking for an iPhone forum site to get help would have no clue what iPopuli is. iCafe makes better sense for attracting new users. I would have it iPhoneCafe. Or iphonecafe.com. People look for the word iPhone when searching for a site for help.
What about everythingiPhone. Oh, wait..

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
The forum used to have iPhone in the name back in 2006 and 2007 (everythingiPhone). Apple saw it, didn't approve of the name and sent the admin a notice stating that it to be changed. That's why the forum is now called everythingicafe.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
What has happened to iPopuli?
It was put on the back burner in light of indexing issues the site has experienced with Google over the past year or so. Never say never, but as of now, the iPopuli shirts I own are collectors items – valued well below their initial cost.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Do you know what is happening? The first phase of eiC 1.4. Finishing up the design tonight, which will roll out before the new features.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC

I agree with iCafe. I've been saying this since the first renaming discussions years ago. A cafe is a place where you go to hang out and shoot the breeze in a relaxed, casual environment. I think it perfectly suits the vibe here. "i" obviously signifies it as an apple-oriented place, beyond just the iPhone. I understand "everything" is part of Chris' original mobile site brand, but I think now it is unnecessary and only draws away from the significant aspects of the name.

iPopuli is too esoteric, in my opinion. I really don't think it will convey the intended meaning to people.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I agree with the above assessment. As a marketing major, I have not retained much of what I learned. But advertising and promotion was an area that interested me most. I learned how brand recognition is important. When I first saw iPopuli, my first thought was "population by copulation". I had to read further. I like a shorter name than everythingicafe. What many will remember is the word "everything". They'll say, "Yeah, it's everything something.". I like just iCafe. Or iPCafe. But that's me and it's not my site. I'm ok with whatever Chris wants to call it.

Last edited:

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Maybe one day the guy who owns iCafe will get tired of renewing his domain. That's a domain change everyone could get behind.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Maybe one day the guy who owns iCafe will get tired of renewing his domain. That's a domain change everyone could get behind.
It's fine like it is. You just need to give away more t-shirts, caps, coffee mugs and iTunes gift cards! :D