Say hello to iPopuli

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
If we can't get iCafe since someone is hoarding the domain name, I'd say just keep it everythingicafe. I never really cared for the name iPopuli.
I agree with the above assessment. As a marketing major, I have not retained much of what I learned. But advertising and promotion was an area that interested me most. I learned how brand recognition is important. When I first saw iPopuli, my first thought was "population by copulation". I had to read further. I like a shorter name than everythingicafe. What many will remember is the word "everything". They'll say, "Yeah, it's everything something.". I like just iCafe. Or iPCafe. But that's me and it's not my site. I'm ok with whatever Chris wants to call it.
iPCafe? I pee cafe. That's terrible, man.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
If we can't get iCafe since someone is hoarding the domain name, I'd say just keep it everythingicafe. I never really cared for the name iPopuli.

iPCafe? I pee cafe. That's terrible, man.
:eek: That didn't cross my mind! LOL . I'm cool with it as is. It is trouble and expense to change a domain.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Not sure how it happened, but it looks like the guy who had iPopuli dropped it. I didn't think that was possible on Twitter. I figured I'd look it up today and boom, there it was. Still have no immediate plans to switch, but it does feel good to grab iPopuli on Twitter.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I think iPopuli would be an extraordinarily bad idea.
Agreed.
Worse than leaving magenta, worse than leaving vBulletin, worse than migrating all of the device forums into one iPhone forum.:p
Magenta is my favorite color and I use this forum a lot, but I still don't care what colors eiC uses as long as they are easy on the eyes. I don't think switching to vBulletin resulted in any major improvements for users (though some of the mod enhancements are nice). I agree that fewer sub-forums is less cluttered and makes navigating easier. I've never liked the name iPopuli and don't understand how the switch would help with traffic or enhance the forum. It just seems needless. I think the meaning is lost on most people anyway. Switching to a name with "iPhone" in it would certainly help, but I know Apple won't allow it, so why bother changing it at all?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
...so why bother changing it at all?
The 10 t-shirts sitting on my shelf would have some meaning?

I'm not changing the name. Years ago, it was a consideration.

In related news, I do wear my iPopuli shirts and my wife makes fun of them.

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
The 10 t-shirts sitting on my shelf would have some meaning?

I'm not changing the name. Years ago, it was a consideration.

In related news, I do wear my iPopuli shirts and my wife makes fun of them.
Haha I still wear the t-shirt from time to time and also get interesting looks from my wife.