SB Crashing...

Jun 21, 2009
San Francisco-ish
...constantly, it's getting pretty old. I'm JB and whenever I do something to modify my iPhone or nothing at all, the SB crashes. Please help!

also, if you know a way I can rearrange my icons without having to do it manually everytime my SB crashes, that would be quite handy

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I unjailbroke my 3GS because I got tired of the SB crashing to safe mode. I still have my 3G jailbroken but I don't use it as much so the crashes don't bother me. I just decided I want my main phone to be as stable as possible. Before doing this, as a trial/test, I disabled everything except the theme I made, which is nothing but icons and a dock (no sounds, no fonts, no carrier image change, no WiFi image change, no battery theme, etc) and the WeatherIcon App. It still crashed at least a couple times a day, and if I can't have my theme and live weather, I don't have enough reason to JB. I mean SBSettings, Elert, and MxTube are really nice, but alone, not enough reason for me. I'll try again later, but right now, the 3.0 JB crashes to safe mode WAY more often than any of the 2x FW did, for me at least.

I never have to rearrange my icons after a crash to safe mode, I just restart and everything is back to normal.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I mentioned this in a post the previously. I was suffering from crashes all the time (like.. yesterday and 3days before that). My phone would always be in 'Safe Mode'

I went into cydia after getting a ten minute breather from the constant crashes and i removed a few packages to see if anything helped. I then de-selected a few things i had running in Winterboard. To my amazement it actually worked. I did also receive.. (I think 3x) Mobile Substrate updates. This made the phone more stable.

I'm just a little edgy on what to install now, the crashes nearly forced me towards a restore.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
I unjailbroke my 3GS because I got tired of the SB crashing to safe mode. I still have my 3G jailbroken but I don't use it as much so the crashes don't bother me. I just decided I want my main phone to be as stable as possible. Before doing this, as a trial/test, I disabled everything except the theme I made, which is nothing but icons and a dock (no sounds, no fonts, no carrier image change, no WiFi image change, no battery theme, etc) and the WeatherIcon App. It still crashed at least a couple times a day, and if I can't have my theme and live weather, I don't have enough reason to JB. I mean SBSettings, Elert, and MxTube are really nice, but alone, not enough reason for me. I'll try again later, but right now, the 3.0 JB crashes to safe mode WAY more often than any of the 2x FW did, for me at least.

I never have to rearrange my icons after a crash to safe mode, I just restart and everything is back to normal.
I've read a lot about the weather icon app making the 3GS crash. I don't use it, and I've only had one crash to safemode since I jailbroke, and I'm pretty sure that was because of Notifier, it has since been removed.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I use WeatherIcon, and I get an occasional safemode crash, but not very often. It's pretty quick to respring these days, so it doesn't bother me.

I'm pretty sure the problem is Winterboard, though. Get rid of that and see if stability improves.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I use WeatherIcon, and I get an occasional safemode crash, but not very often. It's pretty quick to respring these days, so it doesn't bother me.

I'm pretty sure the problem is Winterboard, though. Get rid of that and see if stability improves.
I can't part with Winterboard. How am i supposed to look at my beautiful themes on those rainy, cold.. lonely days?

kledsam

Jan 25, 2009
For me it was weathericon that caused the crashes, not winterboard.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
Winterboard hasn't caused me any issues either. Winterboard has been installed since the day I jailbroke.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
If anything it may have slowed my phone down, but it's understandable with the themes and stuff i have loaded.

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
Hard to believe, but my experience leads me to believe that Cydia itself may be the cause of the intermittent SB crashing. Yesterday, after another SB crash, Cydia stopped working for me (wouldn't even load) and I uninstalled it through Icy. I've not had a single SB crash since then and Icy is proving to be just as good a JB apps aggregator and installer as Cydia ever was/is.

Jun 21, 2009
San Francisco-ish
I'm really not sure what it is, earlier I tried running cydia and that shut down and then the phone crashed to safe mode. And, just now, I tried to turn off a few things running in winterboard and then it crashed to safe mode again.

Europa - I don't know how you got away with things not rearranging after a crash, it happens to me every time I crash to safe mode...

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I'm really not sure what it is, earlier I tried running cydia and that shut down and then the phone crashed to safe mode. And, just now, I tried to turn off a few things running in winterboard and then it crashed to safe mode again.

Europa - I don't know how you got away with things not rearranging after a crash, it happens to me every time I crash to safe mode...
IDK, that's never once happened to me and I've had my share if sb crashes on two different phones and many different themes. After the respring, everything is just as it was. Does that happen with all of your themes?

Jun 21, 2009
San Francisco-ish
IDK, that's never once happened to me and I've had my share if sb crashes on two different phones and many different themes. After the respring, everything is just as it was. Does that happen with all of your themes?
I'd hardly say I'm even using a theme. I do use the 5 column add on, so that might have something to do with it, however, the icons out of place seem to be pretty at random.

I don't know if you know how to find it, but I heard of a way of rearranging your apps via ssh/iPhonebrowser. any ideas?

seanwes

Zealot
Gold
Feb 13, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I've had occasional crashes, and I have WeatherIcon installed. I hardly ever look at it though. So I'm going to uninstall, and report back if I still get crashes.