scared to exchange iPhone, and get an even worse one

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

bllzll

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
so my iPhone has some minor problems. such as one little dead pixil at the bottom of the screen, a little dust particle back there... my usuage wont reset, and im unsure if my battery is good or not. i don't get why my battery usage wont reset, im not sure if everyone has that problem or if that means that my battery is bad. im considering trying to exchange it, but im scared that i will get one thats even worse...

all of my problems seem really minor compared to the horror stories that some other people are sharing... im just in fear that i will exchange one.. and have ever worse problems and then end up regretting it and wishing i had my old phone back

anyone else feel like that...?

nippyjun

Jul 21, 2007
Yes, i feel the same way. My only complaint is the volume issue and i'm not willing to risk getting a new one with the same volume issue and other problems. I'm hoping an update will fix the volume. :laugh2:

Jul 17, 2007
Midwest US
Thankfully, no.

I really haven't heard of problems worse than a dead pixel, or reset prolems. Anytime I find a problem, it is just a quirk that goes away after I hit the home button.

Returning your phone would be an improvement, are you suggesting that the majority are flawed?

bcaslis

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Oregon
I would go ahead and exchange if you are not happy with it. I've bought four (not replacements but ones for all the family members). Three were as perfect as you can reasonably expect. The fourth had the chrome section on slightly wrong and a small amount of dried glue on the black plastic piece. Exchanged that for another that was fine.

On the usage meter, mine charges fines, but sometimes after charging overnight it shows an hour or two of usage. I'm convinced that what is happening is that it charges but then starts counting the sleep time as usage. I would guess this is something Apple will fix in a firmware update.

so my iPhone has some minor problems. such as one little dead pixil at the bottom of the screen, a little dust particle back there... my usuage wont reset, and im unsure if my battery is good or not. i don't get why my battery usage wont reset, im not sure if everyone has that problem or if that means that my battery is bad. im considering trying to exchange it, but im scared that i will get one thats even worse...

all of my problems seem really minor compared to the horror stories that some other people are sharing... im just in fear that i will exchange one.. and have ever worse problems and then end up regretting it and wishing i had my old phone back

bllzll

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
nah not at all.. because i know theres wayyyyy more good iPhones out there than bad ones... i don't know what im worried about.. just in fear that i would exchange it and regret it.. but i guess your right... considering theres way more good phones than lemons the chances of me getting a bad one are probably pretty slim... i just really want my usage to reset so i can give the battery life a good test... for some reason i feel like my battery life and been slowly getting worse.. but it could just be in my head.. ha

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA

I feel exactly the same way. I had the "brick" problem and it has been acting funky but I fear exchanging it and getting one with dead pixels or something.

I plan to exchange it anyway and if I get another bad one take that one back as well. Honestly, if at any point they don't work with me on a $600 phone I am going to just demand my $$ back and argue with whoever I need to that I should not have to pay a restocking fee if my units were defective.

I will say that I work for ATT Mobility HQ so if I have problems with this I will be raising some serious you know what.

I expect all to go well though as Apple has a good track record of standing behind new products.

bllzll

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
haha sounds good. when raising hell you almost always get your way... i guess your right on one thing though... i can exchange my phone, and if i get another bad one.. just keep exchanging it until im completely satisfied.

bllzll

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
I feel the same way. Especially after hearing about those other screens.
yes I don't wanna get a apse screen or some new not as good model or something like that. I think I'm going to wait till after and update before considering an exchange

havoc234

Jul 27, 2007
My experience exchanging iPhones didn't go so well, I ended up getting worse iPhones one after another 4 with more than 3 dead pixels and one DOA out of box so I would kinda be worried when exchanging. if your phones not that bad. You should exchange it definitely but if its like a pixel on the side or something its probably better to keep it.

-typed from my iPhone

iLawyer

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Jersey
Return

I am on my second iPhone. My first one had a major problem...the ear speaker broke. When placing a call, I could not hear any ring or the person on the other end. It worked fine on speaker phone, but nothing in regular mode with the phone against my ear. No problem with my second one so far.

AT&T would not replace it. They told me to go to the Apple store and have it fixed. The Apple store told me to make an appointment in a few days because they were booked. I did not want to wait, so I went back to AT&T and returned it, paid the restocking fee, and purchased a brand new one. As I said, no problems with the new one.

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I am on my second iPhone. My first one had a major problem...the ear speaker broke. When placing a call, I could not hear any ring or the person on the other end. It worked fine on speaker phone, but nothing in regular mode with the phone against my ear. No problem with my second one so far.

AT&T would not replace it. They told me to go to the Apple store and have it fixed. The Apple store told me to make an appointment in a few days because they were booked. I did not want to wait, so I went back to AT&T and returned it, paid the restocking fee, and purchased a brand new one. As I said, no problems with the new one.
wow, so they would not even let you exchange it?
btw, what is the restocking fee?

Jul 27, 2007

Ok. I ' he gone through three. The first one was a 4 gig and I decided to get the 8 gig. Instantly I dropped it and dented the top left corner. After reading this forum I figured out I had the "7" screen. Well I loved it but also by reading this forum I figured out that if I just went back to att that theyight return the phone. Low and behold they did. I ended up with an 8 gig "5" screen phone and I have no probls except volume.

Jul 7, 2007
Lake Forest, CA

My iPhone never did display any values in the “ time since last full charge”, just blank lines where the time value would be “Usage ---“ Standby---“. I exchanged it and my new one works just fine. This might explain why my wife’s iPhone purchased the same day has always had better battery life. My first iPhone also crashed the other day and displayed the dreaded “yellow triangle”. I had to restore it through iTunes but the battery issue remained so I returned it.