Scratch Remover?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

gcaraway

Sep 24, 2007
I was thinking about getting a skin for my iPhone, but really love the "naked" look and feel of the iPhone. But I was worried (if I kept in naked) that I would get lots of scratched on the back. So I came to the conclusion, if there was a scratch remover product, then I could keep it naked (without a case or skin) and then if I got a scratch on the back, I could simply apply the product and no longer have a scratch..

Does anyone know of a scratch remover product? If so, does it work? Thanks

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
I was thinking about getting a skin for my iPhone, but really love the "naked" look and feel of the iPhone. But I was worried (if I kept in naked) that I would get lots of scratched on the back. So I came to the conclusion, if there was a scratch remover product, then I could keep it naked (without a case or skin) and then if I got a scratch on the back, I could simply apply the product and no longer have a scratch..

I asked this same thing while at the Apple store. Most of them recommended a website called RadTech. So I come home and go to that site. The Apple employees swore by this product called "Ice Cream." So $25 later, I ordered it.

Either I did something wrong or just don't know what I am doing, but my iPod (video) looked no different before and after. I rubbed and buffed til my arm felt like it could drop off.

I'd love to know if anyone else has tried this product and what they think of it cause I am not impressed.

mittenman

Silver
Jul 25, 2007
Nowhere, Mitten
I believe the back is painted and not really a gloss finish, so I don't think you could polish out any scratches? You could shine the hell outta that blingin' Apple logo, though!

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Has anyone tried this ice cream stuff on their bezel yet? Id really like to know if it works.
Radtech's websites says there is no use for it on the iPhone.

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008
The brushed steel bezel mod is pretty sexy as an alternative. There's a thread on this forum I believe. I think its how I originally found this site in fact.

cubbie5150

Bronze
Dec 16, 2007
i loved the brushed steel mod, but im too scared to do it. and my bezel isn't scratched. maybe once it is ill give it a shot.
Don't be scared...do it, and you'll be happy. I ran into the original thread about it on MacRumors some time ago, and admittedly, it took me a few weeks before I had enough scratches on my bezel to justify (in my mind) taking a chance... I think it looks so much better. Just tape things off properly, & take your time. Heck, I did mine over three different sessions as I was afraid to press too firmly w/ the scratch pad the first time especially. The shiny chrome looks cheap to me now that I have brushed metal!

kylegod

Silver
Jan 1, 2008
Bethlehem, Pa
yes like i said, maybe once it gets scratched up ill do it. I think it looks better too brushed. Now that im not using my agent18 case it shouldnt be getting too scratched.

singlefilerock

Bronze
Dec 27, 2007
for the screen..

why not just a little plastic cover for it?
i have one.. people don't even realize its there..
they see scratches on it and think im crazy!
but you cant see it and it protects the screen well!

BD997

Bronze
Dec 23, 2007
Boston, MA
Don't be scared...do it, and you'll be happy. I ran into the original thread about it on MacRumors some time ago, and admittedly, it took me a few weeks before I had enough scratches on my bezel to justify (in my mind) taking a chance... I think it looks so much better. Just tape things off properly, & take your time. Heck, I did mine over three different sessions as I was afraid to press too firmly w/ the scratch pad the first time especially. The shiny chrome looks cheap to me now that I have brushed metal!
any pics for us?

is250sp

Jan 22, 2008

When i first got my iPhone, i applied a screen protector to the front and back. I couldn't stand the ugly look on the front, so i took it off but left the back intact. Nobody ever sees the back anyways, so I didn't mind the look, plus it sure is protecting from scratches.

Jhors2

Bronze
Nov 11, 2007
Not at all, I just saw your avatar and that is my dream car. It is the ULTIMATE 4 door saloon.....Just admiring, lol

jdkhgn

Bronze
Feb 6, 2009
I'm going to put my phone on eBay and the back is pretty scratched up, has anyone used a scratch remover such as brasso or ice creme that has a recommendation?

Calvinle88

Bronze
May 15, 2010
Proprietary scratch removers

I'm going to put my phone on eBay and the back is pretty scratched up, has anyone used a scratch remover such as brasso or ice creme that has a recommendation?
Do look up Walmart for their proprietary scratch removers in their hardware section. Most are meant for chrome and polished-lacquered car-surfaces and the range are from mild to very strong industrial strength scratch removers. So take your pick. If the sales assistance are around, you can ask them for a recommendation for your particular purpose. However, do go easy with the elbow grease, as too much effort can cause a dull surface on the plastic instead of a shine. I recommend starting off with a mild polisher such as the Johnson Kit Wax as it has a high lustre and the ability to remove fine scratches. My iPhone benefited from its weekly to monthly polish to give it a sheen and gleam, just like new again.

Depending on the level of the damage on your phone you may need a replacement of the phone backing to make it look pristine again and fetch a good price.

One final tip, try your regular toothpaste to see if it gets rid of your scratches (if they are fine and not too obvious) before you go for the proprietary stuff and save some money.

Hope that helps. Hopefully other forum readers may have better suggestions than mine.

PinkBanana

Zealot
Gold
Feb 16, 2010
Burnley, UK
I personally use Apple Sauce. It's worked fine for me. There are still a few visible scratches on the back, but the phone is still in fine condition.