Scratched out of the box?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by rollinfromhell, Sep 23, 2012.

1. rollinfromhell

Gold

Anyone else get any damages out of the box? Also, would Apple let me exchange it since it is a cosmetic damage? I'm not sure they'll believe me it truly shipped like this right out of the box.

img0769jm.jpg

2. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

You mean the dent, or I'm looking at something else? Man that really sucks, did you just get the phone? If so that's very noticeable, you should call right away and see what they say. Good luck.

3. rollinfromhell

Gold

Of course the dent. I got it out of the box on Friday, I just didn't know what to say to Target about a dent or if they would believe me.

4. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

I'm going to open both phones at the AT&T store right in front of the CSR...not going to be any question if something isn't right.

5. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I'd take it back. I saw someone on Twitter mentioning a similar issue. Opened box and had a similar defect.

6. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

I was going from the title of the thread and looking for scratches, my bad. I would've been furious from the get go and wouldn't take a chance and call right away. If that's how you got it, call ASAP.

7. Krunk83

Krunk83 Zealot
    Gold

Maybe the one falling is yours?

ElhNF.jpg

8. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Wonder if they will give you a hard time and try and claim that you dropped it or dinged it yourself..

Good luck and I would def exchange it...

9. Kgd0630

Kgd0630 Contributor
    Bronze

I was at AT&T store on Friday and they said they opened a few black ones with scratches. But, with limited stock, the customers took em anyway. I hope mine doesn't arrive messed up 2.

10. ITS ME DAVID

ITS ME DAVID Evangelist
    Gold

That sucks just go to a local Apple store I'm sure they will exchange it.

11. OzzyMoto

OzzyMoto New Member

As I mentioned in another thread it took 4 box openings to find a black 64GB without any cosmetic defects. Stand your ground until you are happy.

12. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Did Apple sent us the good ones and gave stores all defects or something? I didn't hear anyone from here that pre-ordered with such a problem but a few that went to AT&T, best buy and now target. Just saying.

13. NYR2405

NYR2405 New Member

That happened to me last year with the 4s. I took it right to Apple and they exchanged it for me

14. neo

neo Member
    Bronze

Mine has the same thing on both sides. Just like you right out of the box. I called Apple and after being on the phone for almost 2 hrs they say I can return it and they will send a new one. Such a headache I think I am just going to keep what I have. Sucks but the hassle of switching getting new sim (again). Sucks we have to even go through it but t least the phone is functional and not dropping calls lol

15. OzzyMoto

OzzyMoto New Member

16. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

17. cheekymeeko

cheekymeeko Member
    Bronze

That really sucks if I was you I would take it right back. I would want it in pristine condition after all of that trouble.

18. OzzyMoto

OzzyMoto New Member

I tend to consider them all 'cosmetic defects' - most likely flaws in quality control during manufacturing.

To your point about scratches though that is worrisome going foreword for people who care about such things. If Apple somehow modifies the IP5 to become less scratch resistant yet all of us who were early adopters don't benefit that would be a tad frustrating but not the end of the world.

19. rollinfromhell

Gold

Yeah... I would do that if I had that option. Unfortunately, the closest one is about an hour from here, and I don't own a car. I called Apple and they said they would note it down in case Target gave me a problem and gave me a reference number then they'll see what they can do. I called Target the mobile guy seemed pretty cool about it, and said I would have to talk to the lady that sold it to me "the manager" and he said she wouldn't have a problem exchanging it. *That's if they even have any in stock...*

20. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Well with all the issues with scratches and imperfections on the new black phones I decided to talk to my rep at AT&T to voice my concern regarding my two new phones which are yet to arrive.

Her advice was this: Don't open them. Bring them to the store and open them in the presense of an AT&T employee so there is no question about out of the box imperfections. She said they would handle it at that time regarding an exchange or whatever has to be done.

I feel good about that solution. I told her I was pretty particular about the phones being in pristine condition out of the box and she seemed to understand.

So we'll see and I will report back after it's handled.