scratches from incase

theraker007

Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
has anyone tried a polish or buff on the scratches left on the chrome with any sucess? I'm pretty annoyed by the marks left on he phone but they weren't enough to get a replacement, the Pple guy looked at melikei was ocd.

thegasguru

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
the Pple guy looked at melikei was ocd.

What does that mean?
It means he trusted the keyboard.

The guy looked at me like I suffered from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Montalicious

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
it means, the people looked at me like i had obsessive compulsive disorder

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
Yeah, I'm still trying to understand how soft rubber scratched your chrome unless you had something abrasive in your pockets that then became trapped under the rubber.

I'm going on week 2 with my incase and no scratches are visible. I would imagine you would have far more scratches without it protected in your pocket than you would with it in the incase.

Did you find debris in your incase after removing our iPhone?

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
just to add to the redundant posts:

It meant:

The Apple guy looked at me like I had Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

rumpelgeist

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
Yeah, I'm still trying to understand how soft rubber scratched your chrome unless you had something abrasive in your pockets that then became trapped under the rubber.

I'm going on week 2 with my incase and no scratches are visible. I would imagine you would have far more scratches without it protected in your pocket than you would with it in the incase.

This is indeed the case. No pun intended. My phone got scratched horribly by that evil case. Debris in your pocket, such as lint, gets into the case and rubs like sandpaper in between the chrome and the case. Voila!

Rumpelgeist

rumpelgeist

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
has anyone tried a polish or buff on the scratches left on the chrome with any sucess? I'm pretty annoyed by the marks left on he phone but they weren't enough to get a replacement, the Pple guy looked at melikei was ocd.
Yes, there is a post here someplace--I don't remember where--in which someone used a product intended to remove scratches from the back of an iPod to remove the scratches on their chrome band on the iPhone. They said it was very easy and worked perfectly.

Here is a link to the website of the product:

http://www.ipodcleaner.com/?gclid=CMraw4avtI0CFQVmgQodeh4Ovw

The scratches are very much on the surface, and not deep into the chrome (such as dropping it on concrete might produce) and so you should have no trouble removing them.

Rumpelgeist

theraker007

Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
thanks , ill check that product out..

and yes, i guess the spacebar didn't respond to me very well on the phone earlier.. all i did was miss the A, and miss a couple of spaces, not that hard to read lol

spacerog

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
www.spacerogue.net
Another product that has been listed here in other threads to work is "Never Dull" available at Walmart and similar stores. It is a small metal container containing a bunch of wool? cloth impregnated with a cleaning solution. It is designed specifically for polishing metal products. Works great on Chrome bumpers of cars and stuff.

I have not used this product or the similar product 'Brasso' but personally I would think that both would be way to abrassive.

- SR

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
actually the hairline scratches on my chrome really bother me too. I never have been much on chrome on anything. not even vehicles. i only have a few scratches but they are botherin me. I've been carrying mine in a griffin elan slide in holster (not the snap in) and i've removed the clip. I only really use it when i'm carrying the phone around in my pocket or when i'm outdoors as i hate cases/holsters with a passion. It seems to be working well as i haven't got any new scratches.

theraker007

Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
hopefully i can find something cheaper than $15 for atiny bottle of scratch remover

Dallas Phil

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
What is this "incase" deal that is scratching the iPhone? I want to make sure I don't buy one. Thanks!

Standog

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007

Indeed, I had the same thing. My Incase got a little loose and when I took it off, I found that the silver rim was scratched in a few places. I took the case back immediately, but the Apple store didn't replace it.

gregneedham

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
Yes, there is a post here someplace--I don't remember where--in which someone used a product intended to remove scratches from the back of an iPod to remove the scratches on their chrome band on the iPhone. They said it was very easy and worked perfectly.

Here is a link to the website of the product:

http://www.ipodcleaner.com/?gclid=CMraw4avtI0CFQVmgQodeh4Ovw

The scratches are very much on the surface, and not deep into the chrome (such as dropping it on concrete might produce) and so you should have no trouble removing them.

Rumpelgeist
That's the product. I used it to get rid of InCase scratches on the chrome and it worked great. Use the regular scratch remover, not the deep scratch stuff. Works great because it is mild enough to deal with the chrome but doesn't damage the glass in any way. YMMV

alb0zf1n3st

Silver
Jul 2, 2007
Hmm looks like a very good decent product might be considering in purchasing to be safe .. also can use on my little sisters video ipod lol she needs it

RchGrav

Bronze
Jun 8, 2007
I successfuly cleaned polished and removed scratches from mine using the following...

#1 A dremel
#2 A Felt Polishing disk that came with the dremel kit.
#3 Brasso Metal Polish.

I put masking tape on the screen so that it was protected just in case. I also taped off the mody of the phone. Basically the chrome border was exposed.

Then I went to town on it with the dremel's felt disk and brasso. It actually worked VERY WELL, it looked BRAND spanking NEW when I was done.

I hope this info helps someone!

Rich