scratching in back of 3G?

cfarag

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
A question to all your 3G owners of the black model; does the back scratch easily now? I remember the 1st gen nano at the polycarbonate-like coating that scracthed when the wind blew against it. The new back for the 3G looks like similar material.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

I'm still waiting for my 3G via DF from the Death Star. Apple line at the store on Michigan in Chicago is 3 hours every...single..friggin day!

hellspawn2

Bronze
Feb 4, 2008
C-bus
nope haven't seen a scratch yet. I think whatever it is they used seems pretty durable.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
The back of my 3G is free of scratches so far, but the silver Apple logo is scratched already.

Lauting

Bronze
Nov 11, 2007
London, England
Coolio, seems to be quite durable.

Can't wait for mine to arrive next week.

Just need to get a power support screen protector, they seems to be sold out of this item in the uk....:( (well the Apple store in London that is).

Anyone in London know of a place that has this in stock?

rmfnla

Bronze
The back of my 3G is free of scratches so far, but the silver Apple logo is scratched already.
Yeah, that's one of my (few) complaints about the 3G. The Apple logo on the V.1 was polished metal that was actually a separate piece from the brushed aluminum back, and it was quite durable.

I have not scratched mine (yet?) but it will make me cranky if (when?) I do.

oriolesfan23

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Virginia
I've got one small scratch on the back of my 3G (white). If you run your finger over it, you can feel the dent. But its so small that it is hardly noticeable at first glance. That's because I dropped it in my car and it hit something metal. Other than that, there are no scratches at all.

urrrric

Jul 17, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I have the white one and the back hasn't been scratched but the Apple logo has a small one on it already and that's from just putting it in my pocket. Can't wait till the slider comes out.

ejmonkey3

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
only small scratch on silver Apple log otherwise its very durable and no scratchies

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
It is very scratch prone but much like the razr2 it is not normal scratches but micro scratches or hairline scratches. I have babied mine like crazy and still if I hold it up in the light at different angles I can see micro scratches all over it. The average cell phone user will not even detect these scratches but to the experienced user of cell phones of all different materials this will be detectable. Apple always uses terrible materials for the backs of their ipods/iPhones. And don't even get me started about how they kept the stupid scratch prone chrome bezel.

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
i scratched a display model pretty hard with my fingernail and the scratches wiped away pretty clean. I was impressed at the durability of the black backing. But hey, if the back scratches too much, I'll just go buy a new one.