Screen goes black during and after calls

begbudii

Aug 4, 2008
I am having a problem with my 3g iPhone which I got a few days ago. Whenever I make calls, the screen goes black and ALL the buttons are unresponsive. The screen will be black and the buttons will not respond for about 1-2 minutes after the call and also during the call. When I say, "Goodbye" after a conversation and then try to end the call, the phone is completely unresponsive. So whenever I make a call, I can't actually end the call, the other party has to. I don't have a screen protector or a case on the phone, but I do still have the original plastic cover on the phone until I receive my case in the mail.

Is anyone else having this problem? Any suggestions? Is Apple doing anything about this problem? Thanks

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Take off the original plastic. It's messing with the proximity detector. It's not really meant to be used as a functional screen guard.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
On a whim, make sure you aren't covering the sensor array to the left of the ear speaker. There is a sensor there that blacks out the phone when the phone is up to your ear so that you can't accidentally tap any icons on the screen while in a call.

juzcallmeg0d

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
id say it has to do with the proximity sensor. either the original plastic cover is screwing it up, or it is just defective. id say take off the plastic and try it. if it doesn't work, try a restore. if that doesn't work, take it back :p

begbudii

Aug 4, 2008
Take off the original plastic. It's messing with the proximity detector. It's not really meant to be used as a functional screen guard.

I took off the factory plastic cover and it fixed the problem. I feel very stupid.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Don't feel stupid. I had no idea it messed with the proximity detector until now, but now we all know. Thank you for your contribution to the forum...

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
Certain after-market cases can do this also. There has been a couple of cases I have had this problem with.

Aug 20, 2008
Cover was the problem

When I got my iPhone, my granddaughter gave me an extra cover she had for her earlier model i phone. It didn't fit perfectly, but seemed to offer some protection

I then started having the problem described below. It took me awhile to make the connection. Removing the cover solved the problem.

jp

I am having a problem with my 3g iPhone which I got a few days ago. Whenever I make calls, the screen goes black and ALL the buttons are unresponsive. The screen will be black and the buttons will not respond for about 1-2 minutes after the call and also during the call. When I say, "Goodbye" after a conversation and then try to end the call, the phone is completely unresponsive. So whenever I make a call, I can't actually end the call, the other party has to. I don't have a screen protector or a case on the phone, but I do still have the original plastic cover on the phone until I receive my case in the mail.

Is anyone else having this problem? Any suggestions? Is Apple doing anything about this problem? Thanks

gdevita

Nov 11, 2009
No cover, no problem!

I had the same problem until I read this forum and figured out that what was causing it was my previous 2g iPhone's cover that I used for extra protection. Now it works perfectly, although I need a cover to prevent scratches from my beautiful white 3GS.