Screen goes black

Feb 24, 2008
During calls my screen goes black. still carries on call but cant access screen. Have to shake to bring screen back then it goes black again. anyone seen this problem. This is an unlock phone with a next sim card used to unlock,so i cant restore.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
That indicates that there is a problem with the proximity sensor in the phone.
It's supposed to turn the screen off when you put the phone to your head and wake it when you take it away.
The sensor is located above, and to the right of the ear speaker at the top of the phone. If you were covering it up by mistake, that could be your problem.
Do you have a case or silicone skin on the phone that might be blocking the sensor?

Feb 24, 2008
proximity detector might not be the problem

I understand this but phone has problem on two phones. I have two. they both do it and one isn't in a case. I even put them in a freezer to feel the cold and they don't change. I thought it was heat that made screen change. If it is then a freezer compartmetn would give a quick reposonse. but nothing changed for both phones. any ohter ideas?

That indicates that there is a problem with the proximity sensor in the phone.
It's supposed to turn the screen off when you put the phone to your head and wake it when you take it away.
The sensor is located above, and to the right of the ear speaker at the top of the phone. If you were covering it up by mistake, that could be your problem.
Do you have a case or silicone skin on the phone that might be blocking the sensor?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
ok, rule #1. do NOT put electronics in the freezer. Batteries are ok, depending on what type, but electronics is a No-no.
Why? Because if you freeze the circuts, and then heat them up quickly and condensation builds and suddenly you have water in your device and it can ( and in many cases WILL) short out your device.
I should know because we (the company I work for) have had to replace about 3 dozen laptops because the sales reps would leave it in their car trunks over-night in below freezing temps, and then, without letting get to room temp, boot it up. It would last for about 15-20 minutes.
The other reason is that the Lithium Polymer batteries that Apple uses can have their life shorten with extreme temps. If it was the standard Lithium Ion battery, Cold would be fine for the battery, but since the battery is still integrated, you cannot put the phone in the freezer.

As far as your problem, I still think it's the proximity sensor. 2 phones now have the same problem? very rare. My advice is to restore and test again. You can use the ZiPhone 2.5 to unlock again if needed.

begbudii

Aug 4, 2008
during calls my screen goes black. still carries on call but cant access screen. Have to shake to bring screen back then it goes black again. anyone seen this problem. This is an unlock phone with a next sim card used to unlock,so i cant restore.

I am having the exact same problem. The screen goes black and all buttons are unresponsive. This happens during a call and for 1 to 2 minutes after the call. Its the only problem I've noticed with the iPhone. Anybody else have this problem? I have no screen protector or case yet.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
Do you guys still have the protective plastic on it from when you bought it, a screen cover, or case on it that possible is covering the sensor If so take everything off, totally naked, (not you, your iPhone,lol) and then try.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I am having the exact same problem. The screen goes black and all buttons are unresponsive. This happens during a call and for 1 to 2 minutes after the call. Its the only problem I've noticed with the iPhone. Anybody else have this problem? I have no screen protector or case yet.
I am beginning to think that there isn't really a problem, just that the phone is slow to respond when coming out of the "screen-Sleep" it went into during the call.
The reason I speculate it is because there are times when my auto-adjusting backlight for the display is slow to respond (the sensor for the light is the same one as the proximity sensor.) Ambient light doesn't always trigger a response right away.
I have pulled out my phone and unlocked it to play a game, and the room was definitely bright enough that it was a little difficult to see the screen. About 30 seconds later, the sensor picked up the brightness and adjusted my display accordingly. It doesn't happen all the time, but I would guess that it's closely related to your problem.

Popdevil

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I was having the same issue. I restored to factory default and was still having the same problem. When I took the phone out of the case it worked as it should.

Is there a way to disable the sensor so I can still use the case?

Dec 30, 2008
Same Here!

I thought that my iPhone had a major problem because when I tried to make calls, the screen went blank. I could finish the call but could not access the panel until the call ended. I took the case off and that solved the problem.

Legendaryl

Mar 2, 2009
Thanks for the advice. I was having this problem using my new 3G in my old 1st Gen case. After playing with it I am sure that the sensor is to the left of my ear speaker, not right, because you can move your finger over it and watch the screen go black.

tag74

Mar 2, 2009
Thank you. Covering the sensor was completely the problem. I have the first generation iPhone and I bought my boyfriend the second generation iPhone but gave him my silicone case not realizing we were covering the sensor. We feel like idiots! :) We cut the silicone slit slightly longer to reveal the two little sensors and the 3 month old phone we became disenchanted with is working 100% and you saved us a trip to the Apple store. THANKS!

tag74

Mar 2, 2009
First generation sensor is to the right of the ear piece, Second generation is to the left. Just FYI if you're having issues. Just run your finger over the phone.

Jun 9, 2009
Thanks for the Advice!

I had the same problem and took off the Film and it solved the problem! The proximity sensor was getting covered by the Film!

I thought that my iPhone had a major problem because when I tried to make calls, the screen went blank. I could finish the call but could not access the panel until the call ended. I took the case off and that solved the problem.