screen issues

doobie

Jan 16, 2008
hi guys, im new to this forum and new to the iPhone... i recently bought an iPhone with firmware load 1.1.2 this morning the screen was working perfectly fine and now it has completely disappeared. I thought that the battery had died but i can still call myself. It's registering the sim but the phone don't ring...absolutely nudda!.... can anyone help me with what the issue could be?

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
hi guys, im new to this forum and new to the iPhone... i recently bought an iPhone with firmware load 1.1.2 this morning the screen was working perfectly fine and now it has completely disappeared. I thought that the battery had died but i can still call myself. It's registering the sim but the phone don't ring...absolutely nudda!.... can anyone help me with what the issue could be?
Try holding the sleep button and the home button for about 10 seconds?

doobie

Jan 16, 2008
Try holding the sleep button and the home button for about 10 seconds?
thank you so much, that resolved the issue... out of curiosity what would have caused that issue to happen?

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
thank you so much, that resolved the issue... out of curiosity what would have caused that issue to happen?
Haha honestly I have no clue - I haven't heard that issue before (espicially unmodded ones). Generally for issues I'm unsure of, I follow a routine checklist of to resolve the problem.

1) Power off the iPhone and power on (routine reboot). You may want to do this once a day for good measure, just to clear the RAM. In your case, this was not an option as you couldn't see the screen.

2) See if anyone here has the problem, and what was their solution if any.

3) If you had no luck with research, hold the power and home buttons for 10 seconds to do a "hard" reboot.

4) Still no luck? Do any final research to see if there is any other resort than a restore, which is sometimes lengthy (and may cause some data loss in the event of an error).

5) Absolutely nothing? Plug the iPhone into iTunes, and restore after doing one final sync to back up all your data. Be sure to sync camera photos as well, restores clear them.

6) If all these steps do not work, it is typically a hardware problem that can't be addressed with any of these software "fixes", such as reboots and restores - and service may be necessary.

Hope this helped :laugh2:

doobie

Jan 16, 2008
yeah it did help...

actually it is an unlocked phone im not that tech savvy so i am trying to be extremely careful what i do with the phone so i don't crash it...

if i am using iTunes with an unlocked iPhone will this cause any issues? or will everything work fine with it?

will have a look around the forum to see what i can do with it...

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
yeah it did help...

actually it is an unlocked phone im not that tech savvy so i am trying to be extremely careful what i do with the phone so i don't crash it...

if i am using iTunes with an unlocked iPhone will this cause any issues? or will everything work fine with it?

will have a look around the forum to see what i can do with it...
The most important thing to remember with an unlocked phone is NEVER update within iTunes to the latest version without extensive research. Without proper prep etc. iTunes will brick your iPhone.

doobie

Jan 16, 2008
The most important thing to remember with an unlocked phone is NEVER update within iTunes to the latest version without extensive research. Without proper prep etc. iTunes will brick your iPhone.
just so i understand this right... your saying is do not use iTunes to upgrade to the latest firmware? i.e 1.1.3?

if i use iTunes for everyother function e.g uploading music, photo's etc i should be fine right?

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
just so i understand this right... your saying is do not use iTunes to upgrade to the latest firmware? i.e 1.1.3?

if i use iTunes for everyother function e.g uploading music, photo's etc i should be fine right?
Correct. DO NOT update yet you're unlocked. When it informs you an update is available, just click "ignore" or "cancel". You can use all other iTunes functions like normal.