Screen Protector -Yay or Nay?

MrEous

Silver
Dec 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
So I am about to get my new 3GS tomorrow and i'm torn between using a screen protector or not.

Is the oleophobic screen 'worth' not covering or should I just go ahead and protect my screen?
I'm currently a 3G user and put a screen protector on it after I got a small scratch one day. (had change in my pocket with it...usually don't carry change)

Just curious what others' opinions are on the oleophobic screen.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
Hi: There is another thread about this. I actually caved in and got a sceen protector. I could not take the smudges on the screen any longer. I guess after a while the smudes are more apparent. I reverted back to my old screen protector Clear Protector and I'm glad I did. Now the screen is virtually smudge free and I don't hace to wipe it as much.
My screen was fine for a little over a month from when I first got my phone but more and more smudges became visible and were getting on my nerves, so I did it. Never thought I would cover that screen. It felt so good to the touch, but I had to do it.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I would say Nay. "Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing Baby". I carry mine always in my front left pants pocket. The screen is always facing my leg (to prevent being cracked in the event of bumping something) and nothing else goes in that pocket. I did the same thing with my v1 iPhone and never had a problem (knock on wood). Mark:eek:k:eek:k

Mar 29, 2009
Nay, I did it on my 3g with a bulky case, On the 3gs I m ausing a ifrogz case and no protector, Feels so much better,

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I would say Nay. "Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing Baby". I carry mine always in my front left pants pocket. The screen is always facing my leg (to prevent being cracked in the event of bumping something) and nothing else goes in that pocket. I did the same thing with my v1 iPhone and never had a problem (knock on wood). Mark:eek:k:eek:k
I carry it the very same way, Mark, except that sometimes it shares a pocket with my wallet, which is always placed on the back side of my iPhone (I have a case). And, I'm still loving the oleophobic screen, so no screen protector for me, either!

MrEous

Silver
Dec 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
Thanks everyone, for your input...

Looks like my phone will be going streaking. :)

NuMystic

Aug 12, 2009
This is my first iPhone so I've been experimenting with different options. Have gone without screen protector, with the griffin clear film that comes with their cases, and have now settled on the anti-glare version sold at Apple retail stores. (power support I think?)

Loved the bare glass, but even carrying it exactly as described by others (empty front pocket) I noticed a miniscule scratch right on the face, so that combined with constantly cleaning the finger smudges led me to protectors.

The clear film was beautiful but smudged even worse than the bare screen.

I had avoided the anti-glare and fingerprint screen since some people said it distorted the display... which is true to a tiny extent.

Even so, the lack of glare and fingerprints is well worth the tiny sacrifice in clarity. It's not like I'm doing graphic design on this thing after all. :)

I have actually gone a day or two without having to wipe the screen which just amazes me.

iksn

Silver
Aug 7, 2008
Near Las Vegas
No screen protector for me. I never had one for my 3G either. I do carry mine on a holster face inward, so the face is protected except for when I'm using it. I use it the way it was intended, my naked finger against the screen.

Only takes putting your keys in your pocket one time to have some very adverse results. I drink too much to not have it in a inward facing case w/ a screen protector.. I guess it's a matter of your lifestyle and how you treat your phones. I'm a destroyer.

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
i have my whole phone protected by a skin. gives me a little extra grip too.

Last edited by a moderator:

RKight

Aug 14, 2009
I have the anti-glare screen protector and like I a lot. Besides reducing glare and protecting the screen, I've found it also reduces friction. On a hot day, with no screen protector, my fingers feel like they want to stick to the screen if it has recently been cleaned. Damp fingers plus a clean screen is not fun IMO. The matte finish of the anti-glare screen protector helps a lot with that problem.

jersey221

Jul 21, 2009
Agreed! Mine's on the way. Thanks! :)
you should have went with phantom skinz there 7.99 and you get 2 so if you mess up you can redo phantom skinz doesn't have the "orange peel" affect and phantom skinz gives the same protection but gives you a really smooth feel like the regular glass

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
Sunny, southern California.
you should have went with phantom skinz there 7.99 and you get 2 so if you mess up you can redo phantom skinz doesn't have the "orange peel" affect and phantom skinz gives the same protection but gives you a really smooth feel like the regular glass
But at $7.99, how long do they last? I'll bet not long.

jersey221

Jul 21, 2009
But at $7.99, how long do they last? I'll bet not long.
they are exactly like zagg or best skins ever but they feel a lot better they last as long as you keep it on it isn't a static cling one they are very nice 2 morrow i'll post pics of them if you like it wont be on a iPhone sry switched to a pre but i like coming over to these forums just to see whats going on i was a owner of a 3g then switched but if you'dmlike i can show pics of my pre