Screen turns off, always?

Kaitlyn2004

Bronze
Aug 6, 2008
So this is starting to really annoy me. When I am in maps doing routing, the iPhone continues to dim->turn off.. what good is using google maps or something if you have to tap it every 30 seconds to ensure it stays on? Even when plugged it in turns off... am I missing something?

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
So this is starting to really annoy me. When I am in maps doing routing, the iPhone continues to dim->turn off.. what good is using google maps or something if you have to tap it every 30 seconds to ensure it stays on? Even when plugged it in turns off... am I missing something?
Settings-----> General------>Auto-lock---->Never

That should do it for you.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
You can change how long it takes before the screen shuts off.

Settings -> General -> Auto-Lock -> Your choice of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 minutes before it shuts off, or never.

EDIT: OJ beat me.

Kaitlyn2004

Bronze
Aug 6, 2008
Ya, but I DO want it to do that... I mean, 95% of the time. But every other device I have either doesn't do the same when powered, or gives you a separate option...

Wouldn't this happen with watching a movie too? You have to disable that whenever you want to watch a movie.. or always have it disabled? uh...

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Ya, but I DO want it to do that... I mean, 95% of the time. But every other device I have either doesn't do the same when powered, or gives you a separate option...

Wouldn't this happen with watching a movie too? You have to disable that whenever you want to watch a movie.. or always have it disabled? uh...
No. When watching a movie or a YouTube video, that feature is automatically disabled.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
The auto-lock is to save your battery. Every other device you had probably doesn't have the screen demands of the iPhone. As long as you touch your screen it won't auto-lock.

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
I suspect when a real GPS mapping program comes our it will use the same mechanism to disable screen timeout.

Joe

Kaitlyn2004

Bronze
Aug 6, 2008
I suspect when a real GPS mapping program comes our it will use the same mechanism to disable screen timeout.

Joe
IF... I bought the iPhone assuming a turn-by-turn solution would be out by now... I know it wasn't set it stone, but that's what we all use GPS FOR!. :(

Kaitlyn2004

Bronze
Aug 6, 2008
Research before ya buy...
Are you kidding me? I didn't buy it thinking it HAD it.. i bought it expecting it would have been implemented (there may be, but I'm not aware of any other PDA/phone that has integrated GPS without a turn-by-turn navigation solution). Back when I WAS researching, there was mention of the tomtom working that would likely come soon.

Save your stupid comments

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Are you kidding me? I didn't buy it thinking it HAD it.. i bought it expecting it would have been implemented (there may be, but I'm not aware of any other PDA/phone that has integrated GPS without a turn-by-turn navigation solution). Back when I WAS researching, there was mention of the tomtom working that would likely come soon.

Save your stupid comments
Well there's a reason why rumors are rumors.

Save your stupid attitude.

Kaitlyn2004

Bronze
Aug 6, 2008
Well there's a reason why rumors are rumors.

Save your stupid attitude.
Save your stupid assumptions.

It was an educated expectation. Like I said, I don't know of any other PDA/phone with GPS that doesn't have turn-by-turn navigation capability, do you?

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Save your stupid assumptions.

It was an educated expectation. Like I said, I don't know of any other PDA/phone with GPS that doesn't have turn-by-turn navigation capability, do you?
Assumptions?

Whose the one that ASSUMED the iPhone would get a voice-guided turn-by-turn navigation app? YOU.

Who ASSUMED that the iPhone would have something like that because all other smart phones have it? YOU.

So no. I think YOU should save your assumptions.