Screen unresponsive to touch

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by Torinate, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Torinate

Torinate Member
    Bronze

Hello there.

iPhone 6+. Just updated a week ago to iOS 9.2. This just started last night. A full 4-5 days since I updated.

Now, my screen becomes unresponsive and I get stuck. I've hard reset it 7 times with no luck. I end up having to hit the on / off button close it. Then I can go back to where I was and resume what I was doing.

Extremely annoying!

Any one know any fixes for this?

Thanks in advance!

Torinate

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It sounds like it's a software problem. Restoring should fix it. If it doesn't, you'll need to have Apple repair or replace the phone.

3. Torinate

Torinate Member
    Bronze

Ok. Now I have light vertical lines on the right side of the phone. Darker at the top.

I haven't restored it yet.

Never dropped. Still unresponsive screen at times.

Any ideas besides restoring?

Thanks.

4. Torinate

Torinate Member
    Bronze

These photos show the lines. Not the best, but look at top right. Vertical lines...

Attached Files:

5. Torinate

Torinate Member
    Bronze

Another

Attached Files:

6. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

What lines?

7. Torinate

Torinate Member
    Bronze

There vertical white lines. Poor picture. Let me try again.

8. Torinate

Torinate Member
    Bronze

Anything?

Attached Files:

9. Torinate

Torinate Member
    Bronze

Aha! They don't show up on the pictures! Lol. They're only on my screen. The camera doesn't see them. I need to take a pick of the phone with a different camera to get the effect. Try that now.

10. Torinate

Torinate Member
    Bronze

That's better. Shows up now...

Attached Files:

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

This is a hardware problem. The screen connectors have come loose. Is your phone less than a year old? If not, do you have AppleCare+? If it's still covered by the warranty, Apple will fix it for free. Restore it to factory settings prior to taking it in.

12. Torinate

Torinate Member
    Bronze

Apple Store and apple on the phone both said too bad so sad. Said the screen was no good. Out of warrant by a week. Doesn't matter that it wasn't put into service end of December (Christmas present). It was bought before. 53 weeks ago...

I cannot believe that! They didn't give one iota that it wasn't put into service! Basically the manager said that's too bad - pay me! We'll fix it... For $200...

Sorry for the rant. Guess I now have a $500 paperweight or pay another $200 for a new screen.

Never dropped. Mint condition. Babied. Complete joke. I'm sure people will flame away and you have every right. But when they won't even look at in service date that's a bit much.

I cannot believe the frustration of this!!! I cannot believe the smirk on the managers face when he was saying that! It was like he took pleasure in it. Same as on the phone. I think her comment was that's just the way it is.

Maybe the phone is only meant to last a year...

13. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Do you have another Apple store in your area you can try?

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

They definitely last more than a year on average, but some do have problems within the first couple years. AppleCare+ is a good insurance plan to extend the standard warranty an additional year just in case something like this happens. It's not just Apple that begins the warranty on the date of purchase (rather than the date of activation); all electronics manufactures adhere to that. I think it's worth paying the $200 to get it fixed. The value of the phone is more than double that if you want to sell it afterwards, recoup the repair fee and then upgrade to a 6s+. Are you on a plan where you can upgrade every year through your carrier? I'm sorry to hear that they seemed to enjoy turning you down. That's not typical for Apple employees.

Another option is to attempt to fix it yourself. If it is just loose screen connectors, it won't be terribly difficult if you do the research required for this repair.

15. Torinate

Torinate Member
    Bronze

Shouldn't have been an issue with a thousand dollar phone.

It's not the fact that it broke. It's the fact that apple really doesn't care. From this site and several others and a Google search, apparently this is extremely common. Not a one off by any means. There's someone talking about a class action suit (talk is cheap) even. Hey, I just want them to stand behind their products. It's a joke really. Phone should last longer than that. Hasn't been in service a year and that happens. Grr!

Bought tools to fix it. Try that.

One report says that because the 6S is flimsy the connectors come off. I believe it. Makes sense. I can't replicate it by a small amount of twist on the phone.

16. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I've always known Apple to stand behind their products within the warranty period. When my car goes out of warranty, good luck getting free service. I understand and sympathize with the fact that the phone is only a week out of warranty, but I've read many stories of individual Apple stores servicing phones out of warranty. They're not legally bound to, though.

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

They do stand behind their products. They support them for longer than most cell phone manufacturers. They offer a service to extend the warranty, which would allow you to get it repaired for free for up to two years after purchase. Most electronics only include a one-year warranty. If Apple repaired some of them for free outside that window, it wouldn't be fair to those who paid for the extended warranty and it wouldn't be consistent. Fewer than 1% experience this particular problem. It just seems like more than that because millions of them are sold each year. The majority of iPhones last for at least three years with no hardware problems.

18. Torinate

Torinate Member
    Bronze

Naw. They don't stand behind their stuff. This is now the 2nd time I've had an issue and they summarily dismissed me. The first time, I admit, the iPad was 1 year and 1 month old and the microphone went. Too bad so sad. Pay up!

This time, the phone was purchase 53 weeks ago but NOT PUT IN USE for 51 weeks. Again, too bad. And I quote, with a smug little half smile from the genius, "oh sure we can fix it. It's $200. It doesn't matter when you started to use it. You bought it a week too early". "Sorry. Absolutely nothing we can do. That's too bad".

Gotta love it... By my calculations, I've spent almost $12,000 on Apple products. Never mind the App Store purchases. Canadian though. That includes computers, phones, iPads and iPods. Oh yes, cords and chargers and cases too.

Frustrating!!!!!!!! Keep looking at nice new samsungs that friends have.

Torn between apps and stuff I own and restarting over with a different company.

Haven't had a chance to try to fix it myself.

For example though, I've had to close my screen and open again 17 times writing this reply. PITA!

19. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

That'll do it for sure. Enjoy their customer service. :D

Look, I appreciate your predicament, but I still don't see anything in your posts that tells me that Apple refused you in-warranty service.

20. Torinate

Torinate Member
    Bronze

Not going to debate semantics.

Phone was used for 50 weeks. Purchased 53 weeks before. Cell phone bills show this as fact with the changeover and in service date of the 50 weeks. Apple didn't care. Said too bad. The phone was sold 53 weeks ago and didn't even want to hear or see the proof it wasn't used or put in service 3 weeks after purchase. So far, I've went in to an Apple Store once and called Apple 3 times. Each time they said too bad. You're just out of warranty. Good news though! They can fix it for $200+. 3 month warranty even! Wow! Probably just long enough that this problem return again in 3 1/2 months. Lol. In my internet searches, even on Apple's forum, this is a huge problem with the 6+.

Customer service... Joke. Warranty??? Lol.

And you're right, if I did switch, I could very well end up even worse off as far as warranty and customer service...

As an aside, went looking for new shoes. Sales person noticed one of the pulls on my Blundstones was torn off. Said "grab a new pair. Blundstones stand behind their stuff. No time frame. No period". I didn't even say a word! I was there for other shoes. They were 6 months old and worn. Now that's the way things should be! So what... $200 shoes. Worth every nickel. Even just for the service and warranty.

Apple on the other hand, doesn't care about the thousands I've spent. They want me to pay $200 more. That is a fantastic way to really ensure you have repeat customers!

On another note. Took the phone apart as a couple thousand videos show on YouTube show how to fix this issue.

Unfortunately, no such luck. We were able to replicate the problem and lines withe certain "pressure" on different areas of the screen / connectors when apart. But we're not able to actually fix the problem. We are almost positive hat it's a problem with the connections, but cannot positively rule out the actual digitizer.

Still at a conundrum. I've spoken with all of my non-apple friends. All of trek advise just getting a new non-apple product for less than the cost of repairs (yes, I know... repairs). I wouldn't have to use any upgrades even. It's frustrating though when I look at the apps and other stuff though. At a party for New Years at a friends and I've got the kids iPads (3) my wife's 6 and my 6+ sitting in a pile. Too invested???

Thanks for everyone's support and allowing my continual rant about poor service and frustration.

I must say, I used to brag and hold Apple with very high regard. After this whole ordeal, I've come to realize that Apple really isn't a people's type company; but rather just out to make money for themselves. Come to think of it, I've had many issues with apple products in the past and even those they didn't really stand behind.

I don't know of any company off hand that truly stands behind their electronics though...