Screen won't rotate

Discussion in 'iPod Touch' started by Mtcarpenter, May 8, 2011.

1. Mtcarpenter

Mtcarpenter New Member

My iPod touch screen won't rotate from portrait to landscape. Any suggestions? It is not locked out, I've already checked that.

2. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

Which app(s) do not rotate?

3. Mtcarpenter

Mtcarpenter New Member

Notes, safari, mail, photos, music

4. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

Did you check to see if the rotation lock was on? Double press the home button and scroll the bottom row of icons to the right. The rotation lock is on the left.

5. Mtcarpenter

Mtcarpenter New Member

I have checked this before and the lock is not on.

6. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

Have you tried rebooting? If that doesn't work then I would try a restore.

7. Mtcarpenter

Mtcarpenter New Member

I bet I reboot at least once a week. My iPod touch seems to freeze up often. How do I do a restore? Will I lose any thing?

8. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

If you've synced lately and backed up your stuff, then you can restore through iTunes from a backup.

9. Mtcarpenter

Mtcarpenter New Member

I finally did a reboot of my iPod touch. That night (11:30 pm) the landscape mode worked w/ notes, safari, email, photos, etc but by morning (6:00 am) it didn't work any more. Any thoughts?

10. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

It sounds to me like you might have added an app that is corrupting the rotate command.
    How long has this been going on? How many programs have you added recently? My suggestion is to uninstall the last couple apps you installed and see if the problem goes away. If it does, then you can add them back one at a time (with a generous amount of time in between each install to test with) And see if the problem comes back.
    It might be the way one of the apps installed and by removing it and reinstalling it, you might correct the problem anyway.

11. Mtcarpenter

Mtcarpenter New Member

How would you determine if its a hardware issue? The problem first happen quite some time ago, so it's hard to know which apps to remove.

12. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

It would also be the first time I have heard of someone's accelerometer going bad.

13. Ipadhater

Ipadhater New Member

try to lock on and then lock off

14. Mtcarpenter

Mtcarpenter New Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I have already tried that. It didn't help. I took it in to an Apple store. They had no clue

15. techtools

techtools New Member

I had the same problem with my iPhone 4. The screen would not rotate when viewing pic or typing and it was not locked. I thought it was maybe a recent update of a software but it wasn't that. I did the reset also. So than i thought it probably is the accelerometer as Hawk suggested. After playing two games one Labyrinth 3d and the other Tap tap revenge 3 i know this that the Labyrinth game worked good. I had very good control of the ball in all directions but when playing TTR the middle arrow for up and down taps would respond with out my input like it was stuck. Right and Left worked good. A little frustrated i threw the iPhone in my protective case two times against the carpeted floor as the last resort and voila. It's working now! I looked online and nobody mentioned that idea so i made this profile in hopes it helps someone but i'm not responsible for any damage.

16. Stephane

Stephane New Member

I had the same issue. Spent a lot up time trying different things. I took your advice but instead of hitting the floor it hit the back of the IPad against the palm of my hand and it worked!

17. smileygeorge

smileygeorge New Member

Hi had the same problem. Switch off bang the back hard. It worked for me

18. myrthedd

myrthedd New Member

Hi! I was skeptical, but hitting the phone in the back while it was turned off worked like a charm! probably the mercury inside the accelerometer was blocked or something. Thank you so much!

19. smileygeorge

smileygeorge New Member

Ha ha. I know it's brilliant. It still happens occasionally so duly turn off and give it hit. Amazingly I had a problem with my PC in work and this time gave it a short sharp kick. Worked like a dream. The IT team were duly amused. So glad it is now working for you :)