Screenshot by keystroke?

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
While watching a video in full screen mode, is there a way to take a screenshot of the screen while I have it paused to save that as a photo?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Command-Shift-3. It saves it to your desktop. It's the fastest and easiest method.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
Print screen then cancel. The screenshot will be in your clipboard.

rambo47

Contributor
Silver
Apr 4, 2010
Northern NJ
Command-Shift-4 gives you a crosshairs cursor so you can take a picture of a portion of your screen. I use that all the time.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Command-Shift-4 gives you a crosshairs cursor so you can take a picture of a portion of your screen. I use that all the time.
But he wants to take a screenshot of a full-screen video. Command-shift-3 is the easiest and fastest way to do that.

rambo47

Contributor
Silver
Apr 4, 2010
Northern NJ
Absolutely. But for me, and for many others, sometimes you just need a portion of the screen captured. I added this as an alternative. Cmd-Shift-4 is still the easiest.

Both these methods save the pic as a .png file. To convert to .jpg or some other format you can open the .png screenshot in preview and export it back to the Desktop. You will have the option in the dialog box to change the format. Useful for posting the pic online because you can see the resulting file size before finalizing the export. You can play with image quality via a slider button to get the overall file size you want.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Absolutely. But for me, and for many others, sometimes you just need a portion of the screen captured. I added this as an alternative. Cmd-Shift-4 is still the easiest.

Both these methods save the pic as a .png file. To convert to .jpg or some other format you can open the .png screenshot in preview and export it back to the Desktop. You will have the option in the dialog box to change the format. Useful for posting the pic online because you can see the resulting file size before finalizing the export. You can play with image quality via a slider button to get the overall file size you want.
I know how it works. I use command-shift-4 and command-shift-4-spacebar every day. My point was he wasn't asking how to take pics of a section of the screen with crosshairs. He was asking how to take screenshots of a full-screen video.

rambo47

Contributor
Silver
Apr 4, 2010
Northern NJ
I know how it works. I use command-shift-4 and command-shift-4-spacebar every day. My point was he wasn't asking how to take pics with crosshairs. He was asking how to take screenshots of a full screen video.
Since you covered the full screenshot I just thought I'd throw a little something extra into the mix.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Since you covered the full screenshot I just thought I'd throw a little something extra into the mix.
Gotcha. I thought you were saying that was a better way to do what he needed.