Screwed up my iPhone, help!

Wes61991

Bronze
Sep 30, 2007
Tennessee
It all started two days ago. I went to open an app on my v1 iPhone. The app doesn't even open before it crashes. I try all my other apps, same problem. All stock apps like calculator, calendar, etc work. Phone and SMS work too. So I try to listen to the ipod, no music plays out of headphones or speakers.

So today I went to restore it in iTunes. It extracts everything from my phone, then activates it and everythings gone. So it asks if I want to restore it from my backup and I click yes. It is restoring my phone when my computer just shuts off. So I turn my computer back on and open iTunes. My iPhone doesn't show up.

So Im stuck here with a iPhone that has none of my data on it and it wont show up in iTunes. Is there even a way to get my backup back?

Hope I was clear with my question, any help is greatly appreciated.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Open iTunes, Go To Edit >>> Preferences >>> Syncing

Are there any files listed where it says: "The following iPhones and iPods are backed up on this computer? If there is a backup file listed there you should be able to run it.

Wes61991

Bronze
Sep 30, 2007
Tennessee
There is my backup from before on the list! How do I get it back on my phone? I don't wanna mess it up any more than I already have.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Well there is certainly hope since the backup file is there. Unfortunately, I don't know any tricks to make iTunes recognize that your phone is plugged in.

I'm assuming you have the latest iTunes (7.7) installed right? If not, I would start there.

Wes61991

Bronze
Sep 30, 2007
Tennessee
Yeah I have 7.7

I restarted iTunes and my phone showed up. Now im gonna restore it and choose my backup. Hopefully it'll work this time without my stupid computer crashing. Thanks for the help!

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Be patient... it will take a while to restore and backup. Good Luck!

Wes61991

Bronze
Sep 30, 2007
Tennessee
ok so again my stupid computer shuts off while my phone restores to the backup. Im ready to throw it away and finally get a mac!

Now I turned my computer back on and iTunes has an error message. My iPhone has a black screen with the Apple symbol and the loading ring at the bottom and has been like that for about 10 minutes. doesn't show up in iTunes either.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
That seriously sucks. So the pc is just shutting down during the restore process? Do you have a lot of other things hogging your system resources? How much ram do you have and what is the processor speed and operating system?

Wes61991

Bronze
Sep 30, 2007
Tennessee
Yep. It has been shutting off randomly for a few weeks now.
I have 894 MB of ram and 1.80 GHz on a windows Vista.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Ram could be an issue as that seems to be an odd amount. I thought Vista required more than that to run effectively. I'd try to figure out why it's randomly shutting off first and remedy that problem then tackle the iPhone. Unfortunately, if it won't run consistantly for an hour or so I don't see how you'll successfuly restore your phone. It's quite a time-consuming process.

Wes61991

Bronze
Sep 30, 2007
Tennessee
It'll run for long periods of time without any problems but sometimes it just shuts down. I have no idea what the problem is as it usually is a great laptop. But I'll try and fix the problem then I can restore.

But my phone is still unusable in the loading screen. :(

Finally! I got it to restore and got everything back! Apps arent crashing anymore! (for now.) :)

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Right On! Great news Wes.

Out of curiosity did it install 5A345 or 5A347 firmware?