Scrolling in a large text field in Safari

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I seem to be having a heck of a time using Safari to enter and edit large text fields (textarea in HTML). Examples are responding to an email using a web client (corporate Exchange server that's not supported by iPhone email) or quoting a message on this board. For example, when I start to quote a message, if the top of it is not being displayed, I can't find a way to scroll up to that text. Also, since there is no text selection, when I have to delete some text using backspace, when the screen scrolls as you backspace from one line of text to the one above it and the text scrolls, the cursor often jumps to a seemingly random place and you find yourself deleting stuff you didn't want to delete (which is another problem since there is no undo and you have to retype that text yourself (if you know what it was!).

This is pretty bad in general, but the worst part of it for me is that there is no way to respond to corporate email with the iPhone.

Anyone has any thoughts or pointers on this?

I've reported this to Apple as a bug.

velvetropeparty

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
still working on it myself. I am having the problem in a more frivolous place like MySpace. Have you tried positioning your finger at the edge of the textbox. In some circumstances, you can scroll the box this way. I have also been able to use the magnifier to move up in the textbox. Just position at the top of the box and wait a second, it will continue to scroll up (or down if at the bottom) - A little clunky, but it works.

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
still working on it myself. I am having the problem in a more frivolous place like MySpace. Have you tried positioning your finger at the edge of the textbox. In some circumstances, you can scroll the box this way. I have also been able to use the magnifier to move up in the textbox. Just position at the top of the box and wait a second, it will continue to scroll up (or down if at the bottom) - A little clunky, but it works.
Which edge of the text box do you position your finger on to try to scroll it?

I tried to use the magnifying glass to push up past the top of the text (to make it scroll), but it only worked a few times (mostly doesn't for me).