Scuffgate

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

IllusionEntity

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 3, 2010
Borough Green, Kent, UK
We all know about the who debacle of Scuffgate when the iPhone 5 was released. But how is your iPhone 5 holding up?

Mine is great apart from a few tiny nicks on that nice shiny bezel at the bottom. The back panel and most of my outer edge are top notch.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
My iPhone 5 is in a case for the most part, but still it does have it's moments when it doesn't. I couldn't be happier. It's in great shape. There is an ever so minor imperfection, but you really need to be looking for it to notice.

Some have said that a good number of nicks and scratches gives it personality. I've yet to see a nicely battered and bruised iPhone 5.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
The display iPhone 5s at the Apple stores get a little scuffed up around the Lightning ports since they are being taken off and replaced on the chargers all day (often carelessly). You can even see it on the older white models they have, though it's not as noticeable since there isn't a black coating on the aluminum to get scraped off.

I got a white one and it has some very, very tiny scratches on the bezel, but you would never notice them unless you were really looking for them.

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
Like Chris, my iPhone5 is in a case most of the time. I use an Otterbox defender. The phone is pristine still. The only time I remove it is to clean the case, or when going to some fancier than usual event.

Sent from my iPad3

reas0n

Silver
Jul 1, 2007
Stamford, CT
www.ohitsjustpete.com
I've got 3 maybe 4 nicks on the bezel, they aren't that noticeable at first glance, but I wouldn't take a microscope or "trained eye" to see them. Also a few tiny tiny nicks where the case I keep it in 90% of the time doesn't cover the camera and flash area.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
So far my iPhone 5 is holding up pretty good looks wise. I am anal so I notice all the little imperfections in terms of the little dots of exposed aluminum under the black coating. Because I know where there little knicks are I often find myself zeroing in on them when I take off my cases, or when I take it out of my Mophie.

I don't think the little knicks will detract from it's resale value though.

dkhmwilliams

Bronze
May 10, 2013
Mine actually doesn't have any marks on it. I was going naked until I dropped it on my hardwood floor. I inspected it thoroughly and there were no scratches or dents. It landed flat on the screen. I bought a another case within the hour.

Sent using iCafe app

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
All the other handsets get scuffed and dinged along the way, the iPhone won't be any different. As an aside, putting the word 'gate' at the end of a word to reference a controversy or issue, is IMO, maddening!

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
All the other handsets get scuffed and dinged along the way, the iPhone won't be any different. As an aside, putting the word 'gate' at the end of a word to reference a controversy or issue, is IMO, maddening!
I was trying to post this thread from an Android forum, but it has been closed and won't link anymore. This guy takes "OCD" to a whole nuther level. :)

Also, a lot of folks who like to use "-gate" have no idea where the term came from. I'm primarily referring to younger people here. And let's not even get started with "Abscam." :D

Android Central.jpg

Last edited: