SDK Questions

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
I know what SDK is and its intended purpose. What I am a little lost on is how to utilize the programs/utilities that will be made for it.

Are they downloadable? By transfer from computer or directly to iPhone?

Are they free?

Do you need a jailbroken iPhone?

I know they are third-party but will we get them through Apple or individual sites?

Any information that can be provided will be helpful.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
A few of those questions don't have firm answers yet, until Apple does its formal intro / announcement of the SDK - but the general consensus right now is that new Apple -sanctioned apps will most likely be distributed via iTunes (although maybe not the iTunes WiFi store).
There may be some free apps, but the likelihood is that most will be paid for.
You will not need a jailbroken phone to install / run apps that come via this model ...

jpmihalk

Bronze
May 16, 2007
USA
Until it actually comes out, much will be speculation. All we can do is guess.

You won't need to jailbreak to use the apps developed by the SDK. I would imagine that they will be downloaded through iTunes like everything else Apple, but that is just a guess. They may or may not be free... depends on Apple and the developer.

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
The paying part is kind of disappointing to be honest. Not surprising, just disappointing.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
The paying part is kind of disappointing to be honest. Not surprising, just disappointing.
this is not unlike any other phone. sure there are free apps out there for just about any smartphone, but most worthwhile apps you are going to pay for to some extent. That was the case with my N95 as well. If people want free apps I imagine they will keep their phones jailbroken and consume what installer has to offer. I'm hoping with the SDK there are more refined and stable apps that offer a little more than what the freebies have to offer.

GSA190

Bronze
Oct 29, 2007
New York
These questions have been asked a few times. Just use the search function.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Supposedly, apps from the SDK will be available through the iTunes Store. It is likely that at least some of them will cost. My hypothesis is that the stronger the app, the more money it'll cost, and some little toys will be free.

The SDK comes from Apple, and Apple hates jailbreaking, which is hacking. Therefore, jailbreaking will not be necessary for apps from the SDK.

- John

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
A new version of iTunes just hit, so I would guess this is in part due to SKD.