SDK ---> Software delay

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
So we're all excited about the SDK release. But one thing that's been bugging me is... if developers don't even get the SDK until sometime this next month, how long is it going to be before we see some actual programs coming out? I'm sure they can churn it out quick, but really, we're talking March at the bare minimum, right?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
So we're all excited about the SDK release. But one thing that's been bugging me is... if developers don't even get the SDK until sometime this next month, how long is it going to be before we see some actual programs coming out? I'm sure they can churn it out quick, but really, we're talking March at the bare minimum, right?
There have been pretty strong rumors that Apple has 'seeded' the SDK out early to some software companies, never really confirmed - but the thought is that Adobe or IBM or whoever else may have been given an early look may have apps ready to go the moment it's announced. Maybe Apple will be ready to sell an IM client or whatever else they may have waiting for the SDK release.
Also, given the speed with which native apps have appeared without an SDK, I'd say some of these developers will react pretty quick if Apple provides a good, workable method for them to get approved etc. ...

Morval

Bronze
Oct 23, 2007
Buffalo,NY
although most were pretty basic a guy named sean created an app every day of november. if your jailbroken u can find them on installer under app-a-day. :laugh2:

so i think that withen a few days of the SDK release we will have a lot to choose from.

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
Where is the official announcement that Apple will release an SDK next month?

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD

cubbie5150

Bronze
Dec 16, 2007
There have been pretty strong rumors that Apple has 'seeded' the SDK out early to some software companies, never really confirmed - but the thought is that Adobe or IBM or whoever else may have been given an early look may have apps ready to go the moment it's announced. Maybe Apple will be ready to sell an IM client or whatever else they may have waiting for the SDK release.
Also, given the speed with which native apps have appeared without an SDK, I'd say some of these developers will react pretty quick if Apple provides a good, workable method for them to get approved etc. ...
Yep.. I read (I think on ArsTechnica) some time ago that EA got an advanced seeding of the SDK as long ago as October... I might not be recalling the month correctly, but I'm pretty sure it was EA that got it. Sooo...looks like some (for $$, I assume) games will be available not too long after SDK is officially released & iTunes is updated to allow for iPhone native app purchases.

PhilipJohn

Bronze
Aug 24, 2007
Bronx, New York
I also read somewhere this week that IBM I think, is releasing a version of Lotus Notes for the iPhone.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
although most were pretty basic a guy named sean created an app every day of november. if your jailbroken u can find them on installer under app-a-day. :laugh2:

so i think that withen a few days of the SDK release we will have a lot to choose from.
I hope you are correct however I think you are mistaken. Although the developers may be fast to knock out software you have to also remember that this time around they have a more extensive process before being released to us. They have to write the software. The software then has to be provided to Apple. I assume that Apple Engineers are going to have to check the software to ensure it does not affect the basic operation of the phone or cause other issues. Then the software has to be evaluated for cost and then finally when all the red tape is completed it will be placed in iTunes for sale.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I also read somewhere this week that IBM I think, is releasing a version of Lotus Notes for the iPhone.
There's been a lot of reports that IBM wants to launch Notes and Lotus Symphony (Office type suite) for iPhone, but this week IBM is apparently saying those are not that close to being ready to go

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I am glad to see Adobe is involved in the SDK, hopefully they will get the FLASH implemented into the iPhone. They already have the flash mobile since November 1st.:)

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
Yeah I raised this question about a week ago and got similar results. I'm pretty sure Apple has released it on the "DL" to big name companys already.

Jan 25, 2008
Sorry to sound stupid guys but after registering here all I sem to come across in this forum is mentions to this "SDK" release, but what is this exactly?

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Sorry to sound stupid guys but after registering here all I sem to come across in this forum is mentions to this "SDK" release, but what is this exactly?
Welcome to the forum.

SDK = software development kit

Apple provides the software to developers of 3rd party apps so that they can create their apps to so they legally can work on the iPhone without having to jailbreak.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
SDK stands for software development kit. A set of documentation / system for developers out there to use as a sort of framework for developing applications for the iPhone that they hope to have sanctioned by Apple for distribution to us (users) via whatever delivery method Apple launches next month ...

Jan 25, 2008
So there is definitely going to be another update next month? If so does anyone know if anything extra will be added to this update or will it simply be the SDK?

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
So there is definitely going to be another update next month? If so does anyone know if anything extra will be added to this update or will it simply be the SDK?
I don't think there will necessarily be another update with the release of the SDK. I've read reports that 1.1.3 is ready for the SDK as it is right now. Apple will definitely release updates; I'm just not sure there will be an update specifically for the SDK release.

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
I am glad to see Adobe is involved in the SDK, hopefully they will get the FLASH implemented into the iPhone. They already have the flash mobile since November 1st.:)
Well I use iTransmogrify for flash......it works great.....almost everytime :laugh2:

Copy this link to your bookmarks, and sync to your iPhone, and then when on a safari page on your iPhone that contains flash, e.g. youtube website, just open your bookmarks and select iTransmogrify, and after a few seconds to a couple of minutes, the flash file should load.

javascript:if%20(typeof%20iTransmogrify%20==%20%27undefined%27)%20{d%20=%20document;s%20=%20d.createElement(%27script%27);s.setAttribute(%27src%27,%20%27http://itransmogrify.googlecode.com/files/iTransmogrify.js?q=%27%20+%20(new%20Date).getTime());d.getElementsByTagName(%27head%27)[0].appendChild(s);}void%200;

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I think that there will be some available apps on launch day, and then several more will begin to come as the days and weeks go by.

- John