Seagate goflex satellite 500GB hard drive?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jimmyjade, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Jimmyjade

Jimmyjade Member
    Bronze

Anyone tried this unit? I have 32 GB iPad 2 but already got it loaded with movies for my trip. Heard mixed reviews but Idevice users seem to have more success? Any thoughts from you experts?:) Thanks.

2. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

Watching this....i am on the fence for one of these things too.

3. Jmbaker429

Jmbaker429 Evangelist
    Gold

I have the seagate go flex portable HD. It's a 1tb. A relative just recently gave it to me. I have been using it for about a week and have had no problems. I have been using drives like these for a long time and highly recommend them. I have others but they are western digital. I will post more on the seagate once I keep using it.

4. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

I think you are talking about a normal external drive. The OP is talking about a wireless, self powered drive that you can access from the iPad while mobile.

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/external/external-hard-drive/goflex-satellite

5. Jmbaker429

Jmbaker429 Evangelist
    Gold

Correct mine is not the satellite. Good catch. Now I will look into the one you guys are talking about. Looks pretty sweet. I will keep tabs on this thread to see what the feedback is.

6. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

I saw one at best buy when I was pricing new MacBook Pro's and almost took it home. But wasn't really sure if it really worked as good as the claims.

7. Jimmyjade

Jimmyjade Member
    Bronze

Where is everyone? Too busy with the holidays or no one has tried this device? I found a website to hack the unit to make it work as promised but it looks a little complicated for me. Any thoughts? Thanks.

8. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

The forums do tend to slow down around the holidays maybe someone will get this drive as a gift and can offer some info.

9. Jimmyjade

Jimmyjade Member
    Bronze

Couldn't wait:) Bought it yesterday & regretting it so far. Can't even get it to work yet but will keep updating as I go. Might need help from you guys:) Thanks & be well.

10. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

Ug....let us know the outcome.

11. Jimmyjade

Jimmyjade Member
    Bronze

Finally got it going last night. Wife is not impressed with the time spent to get it working:) The NTFS thing is a pain & the software is not very easy to figure out OR use BUT it is doing what it's supposed to do. I'm cautiously optimistic after reading all the reviews. Loaded 50 GB onto it and have watched a couple movies without incident. Will post more as I continue to use it. I'm ready for vacation now & hoping the Seagate is as well. Chow.

12. Jmbaker429

Jmbaker429 Evangelist
    Gold

Glad you got it working. Hopefully it will be smooth sailing now that it's all set up

13. laughjimbo

laughjimbo Member
    Bronze

I am interested in getting one of these also for putting my movies onto as I am on the road all the time with work and this sounds like a great bit of kit if it works well.
    I will be watching with great interest to see how you get on with it.
    Keep us posted!

Sent from my iPad2 using iCafe app

14. Jimmyjade

Jimmyjade Member
    Bronze

Once it's set up & loaded with your media it seems to work good. I tried to add more media & I couldn't remember how I did it:) There are many ways to do it & they don't all work equally. Most recently I just drag&dropped which works but without playlists. There is software that comes with it but I had limited success with it because my iPad couldn't find any media even though it is on the Seagate. Now they have an iTunes sync program to add on to your iTunes. I can't quite figure out how the different options in this work but I think the idea is to get your playlists on device. This sounds like a great option but until I can figure out how it works it's more of a pain. I check some of the boxes to sync but then can't find the media on device. Not sure if it's me or the software!:) I think if a person can get the awkward software figured out it is a great option for extra media storage for idevices.
    As for how it works with actual operation I haven't had any issues. It is a little slow getting going & loading what media is available to device can take a while especially when you have it loaded up. Again, software on device is not up to Apple standards but once you get used to it, no problem. I've not had any streaming issues. Good quality & not stopping or stuttering.
    Overall it's a good option IF you want more storage. We know Apple won't give us this because they want us to buy the 64GB iPad:) If they did, it would be a lot easier to use. The Seagate is definitely not plug&play but if you have some patience, I think it WILL do what it's supposed to!

15. Jimmyjade

Jimmyjade Member
    Bronze

Just got back from vacation & it worked like a charm. Lots of flights & a cruise & it did exactly what it was supposed to do. After figuring out how to set it up, it's a great product to expand your tablet's storage capacity. 1&3/4 thumbs up:)