Searching for network

downsized

Bronze
May 3, 2009
Another in my long line of newby questions.

I'm about to embark on a Hawaiian cruise, and I highly doubt that my 3gs will find service while at sea. (We will, however, dock each evening at ports that have att 3g, or at least Edge.) I've no idea if "cell" coverage is available, at sea, but I doubt it.
It appears that we will be out of range for (typically) 14 hours or less.

It has been suggested to me that while underway if the phone is searching for service it will pose a significant drain on the battery.
Has anyone experienced this?
Should I just switch to airplane mode while underway, or not worry about it?

I remember the old days when moving out of "digital" coverage, my old Motorola phone would start searching for an analog, and the battery would last only one day!

jimmy-m

Bronze
Jul 19, 2009
I'd sure put it in airplane mode if it were me ..... BUT

The ship may have wi fi available on the ship. Wouldn't THAT be nice?

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Are you just sailing around the islands? Anyway when you get on board just sign up for the wifi on the ship, you can be connected anywhere on the ship all the time. When at shore youwill get the islands AT&T 3g

I highly recommend the wifi on the ship, they have different plans beginning at $20. Is it going to be on NCL ? Also if your partner is with you you can keep in touch with each other.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I'd sure put it in airplane mode if it were me ..... BUT

The ship may have wi fi available on the ship. Wouldn't THAT be nice?
I would say there is a good chance of that. If so, put the phone in airplane mode and enjoy the wifi.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Trust me Hawaii is the 50th state, they have AT&T 3G there. Been there every year using my phone at absolutely no extra cost. Will be going to Maui for some Waui in November.

Give me your number and I will call everyone. They moved on with the 2 tin cans and string.

downsized

Bronze
May 3, 2009
Are you just sailing around the islands? Anyway when you get on board just sign up for the wifi on the ship, you can be connected anywhere on the ship all the time. When at shore youwill get the islands AT&T 3g

I highly recommend the wifi on the ship, they have different plans beginning at $20. Is it going to be on NCL ? Also if your partner is with you you can keep in touch with each other.
3G in port will not be a problem, as I have been assured that there is coverage anywhere close to land.

Yes, we're using NCL, and yes NCL does have Wi-Fi, but they charge $0.75 per minute!

I figure that if I just use their Wi-Fi 30 minutes a day, it will cost me $157.50 for the week!

My question was more about should I worry about battery usage overnight, while underway.

p09

Jun 30, 2009
If you aren't going to be using it overnight, why not just put it in Airplane Mode?

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
3G in port will not be a problem, as I have been assured that there is coverage anywhere close to land.

Yes, we're using NCL, and yes NCL does have Wi-Fi, but they charge $0.75 per minute!

I figure that if I just use their Wi-Fi 30 minutes a day, it will cost me $157.50 for the week!

My question was more about should I worry about battery usage overnight, while underway.
Just use the phone in the port, you arrive there every morning and leave late evening.

Turn your phone for the email to manual or better yet just turn it off, or better yet just leave it in the drawer.

Also when you get on the ship there will be a nylon tether that you can attach to the phone and the other end attach around your jean loop. There has been so many iPhone gone into the water everyday, that is a fact my friend. A case will not save you my friend.