SeaWorld trainer killed by killer whale

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
There is probably no hope for animals like this whale that has been in captivity for so long. They sadly now probably wouldn't be able to survive in the wild on their own, they are use to performing, etc. for their food. If they are just thrown out there who knows, it's like a home school kid being thrown into a hard core high school.
I believe in rehabilitating whales or taking care of sick whales in captivity if needed, re-release them if they get better, but I hate that they are used for entertainment reasons.
I totally agree with you Connie. Very well said. ^ +1

diverdown

Contributor
Silver
Sep 12, 2007
NYC
Actually, an expert has said that the Jaws scenario is a big reason why they won't release it in the wild. He also said that they couldn't kill it because of the obvious animal enthusiast reactions.

Orca's can hunt seals on land, by the shore obviously. These things figure out what a good food source is, then they figure out how to capture it and they teach it to each other.

I have read that one of the reasons that they keep this particular Orca is that he is a proven breeder..... and that comes right down to money. The more calves he produces the more income Seaworld can generate.

On another note, I read that the Orca grabbed the trainer by her pony tail..... there has been speculation that the Orca thought that the pony tail was a fish and grabbed it and then kept thrashing around trying to dislodge the "fish" from the person. If thats true then this is really just a tragic accident.

~S

TBL

Bronze
Dec 8, 2009
Tampa, FL
I have read that one of the reasons that they keep this particular Orca is that he is a proven breeder..... and that comes right down to money. The more calves he produces the more income Seaworld can generate.

On another note, I read that the Orca grabbed the trainer by her pony tail..... there has been speculation that the Orca thought that the pony tail was a fish and grabbed it and then kept thrashing around trying to dislodge the "fish" from the person. If thats true then this is really just a tragic accident.

~S
Orcas often play with their food. Actually, Orcas eat sting rays by grabbing them by the tail, picking them off the sea floor, then another Orca comes and bites the head.

It's all speculation but I don't really believe that scenario that the Orca thought the pony tail was a fish because they are extremely smart. Remember, these things are regarded as the second smartest creature on Earth.

everythingpet

Apr 20, 2011
Melbourne
i remember hearing about this - sad for the trainer and family members, but seriously what businesss have we got treating these innocent animals the way we do!?

policy140

Apr 20, 2011
imperial valley
I feel the same about elephants and other circus animals that are enslaved for people's amusement and profit.
i say something similar: that we should not have wild animals enslaved for human entertainment.
frankly, i am opposed to owning any wild animal, which if pressed for a definition, would likely exclude cats, dogs, and food animals, which should still be treated humanely; and yes, i eat meat, poultry, fish and dairy.

looking to liberate my ipod touch.
droid x on liberty 2.0.1, slightly oc'd

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
So why is it OK to do that with plants?

I'm a notarian. I will not eat any living thing or a product created from any living thing. Look how awesome I am.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
we should not have wild animals enslaved for human entertainment.
frankly, i am opposed to owning any wild animal, which if pressed for a definition, would likely exclude cats, dogs, and food animals,
You exclude all those animals why? You think that one day they weren't all wild? Why would it be ok to have a pet dog but not a pet monkey?

As long as the animal is being treated humanly and is looked after then I see no harm in "owning" any animal. I have a problem when animals are being kept in small enclosures or not being treated well.

ps - im just playing devils advocate here...