Securing email from prying eyes

dinosaur1

Silver
Nov 10, 2007
I use my iPad 2 to send/receive emails as well as my iPhone 4. People love checking out my iPad whenever they lay their eyes on it. Is there a way for me to secure my emails so people cannot open and access it anytime?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Stock - Passcode lock
Jailbroken - Passcode lock or Locktopus (available in Cydia) with a lock set for the email app

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
There is another App called WebMail, which works with Google, AOL, Hotmail & Yahoo mail, which will allow you to access this accounts on a password protected basis.

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
It is kinda sad because there is a Restrictions setting in Settings and you can restrict stuff like Safari and You Tube. Come on Apple and give us the opportunity to apply this to any app on our device! The technology is there so why go part way and force people like the OP to Jailbreak!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It is kinda sad because there is a Restrictions setting in Settings and you can restrict stuff like Safari and You Tube. Come on Apple and give us the opportunity to apply this to any app on our device! The technology is there so why go part way and force people like the OP to Jailbreak!
I wouldn't say they are forced to jailbreak. The stock passcode lock is the best option. It's more secure than the jailbreak passcode locks which lock individual apps. They can be bypassed though SSH or with iPhoneBrowser/DiskAid.

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
The problem with the stock Passcode option is that sometimes we let friends and family members play with our tablets. I have a grandaughter and she may want to play Angry Birds and look around at other things but I don't necessarily want her accidentally opening a confidential email. I know this is a bad example but I think you see where I am coming from.

Even a protected folder would be great.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I agree. The ability to lock individual apps would be a nice feature.