Security at iPhone release!

WTEngel

Bronze
May 22, 2007
Texas
I am a firefighter in a city that has quite a few AT&T stores. I have spoken with a few police officers that have been gushing about the overtime they will be getting the week of the 25th through the 29th. They have related that the AT&T stores have asked for an officer starting at midnight the 25th for 24 hours until midnight the 26th. Then they requested an officer during businesss hours the rest of the week. Further, they requested that a closed patrol (basically a police officer makes an extra round through the parking lot at least once an hour) for the rest of that week during non businesss hours.

Something is happening that week...I am not sure what. When I asked the police officers if it was AT&T corporate requesting them or the individual store managers, they didn't seem to know. I wonder what's up? : )

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I am a firefighter in a city that has quite a few AT&T stores. I have spoken with a few police officers that have been gushing about the overtime they will be getting the week of the 25th through the 29th. They have related that the AT&T stores have asked for an officer starting at midnight the 25th for 24 hours until midnight the 26th. Then they requested an officer during businesss hours the rest of the week. Further, they requested that a closed patrol (basically a police officer makes an extra round through the parking lot at least once an hour) for the rest of that week during non businesss hours.

Something is happening that week...I am not sure what. When I asked the police officers if it was AT&T corporate requesting them or the individual store managers, they didn't seem to know. I wonder what's up? : )
If that's true then it looks like release day is Tuesday the 26th. You're the first to mention this date.

WTEngel

Bronze
May 22, 2007
Texas
If that's true then it looks like release day is Tuesday the 26th. You're the first to mention this date.
Apple does typically release new products on Tuesdays. Who knows if that will be the date or not. It could be the delivery date (with the actual release later that week after the employees have had a chance to get their hands on it), and they might want security on site when the products arrive because of the potential hype. I am certain that will be the week though. Why have police on site if something isn't up? Or why have the police on site a week or two after the release (if the release was on the 11th, 15th, or another earlier date)?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Apple does typically release new products on Tuesdays. Who knows if that will be the date or not. It could be the delivery date (with the actual release later that week after the employees have had a chance to get their hands on it), and they might want security on site when the products arrive because of the potential hype. I am certain that will be the week though. Why have police on site if something isn't up? Or why have the police on site a week or two after the release?
It's the midnight of the 25th through midnight of the 26th that makes me think it'll be Tuesday morning of the 26th when people will finally get their hands on them. They're trying to gear up for all those early morning campers.

WTEngel

Bronze
May 22, 2007
Texas
It's the midnight of the 25th through midnight of the 26th that makes me think it'll be Tuesday morning of the 26th when people will finally get their hands on them. They're trying to gear up for all those early morning campers.
Sounds logical.

May 6, 2007
United States
This is interesting, thanks for the info. I haven't heard this date yet, but anything is possible at this point.