Security Cam

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Arnold 0, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Arnold 0

Arnold 0 New Member
    Bronze

Since there are so many of these items on market I thought I would ask here for a recommendation.

I am looking for a security cam for my apartment. I want it to have a motion sensor. Basically, if someone comes in my apartment when I am at work I want it to record. Preferably I would like it to record to the internet and give me notification on my iPhone.
    I am not looking for a hidden cam, it can be out in open.

Any ideas?

2. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Any USB webcam will do. Then get the iCam App in the App Store. Download a free program on your computer to transmit to your iPhone App and you're set. ICam is at skjm.com.

3. TarekElsakka

TarekElsakka Genius
    Gold

I had that application and it worked well. However, it is more of a baby-monitoring sort of application than an actual security one. A camera with a motion sensor that can automatically record and notify would be fabulous.

4. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

That's exactly what it does. Set it to notify you of motion within the webcam's view, and begin recording stills of the motion activity. Meanwhile you can view it with your iPhone anytime with audio. Best $4.99 I ever spent.

5. TarekElsakka

TarekElsakka Genius
    Gold

I had absolutely no idea it was capable of doing that. Does it work on an iPod Touch as well? Since I am thinking of ditching my iPhone 3GS for a Torch and getting an iPod Touch.

6. Arnold 0

Arnold 0 New Member
    Bronze

So it needs to plug into USB computer? My front door is not near a computer.

7. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Works on iPad WiFi model so I would think it would. With iPhone you receive alerts even when on 3G. It has been unbelievably reliable. Have had problems with a couple others I have tried.

8. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

It will operate IP cameras but I haven't tried that. There are also wireless cams you could research but I suspect they cost considerably more. I use the new Logitech HD cam and not sure if LT makes a wireless to USB or not.