Security: "Owner" Personalized Wallpaper

JnC

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
I figured I would launch this as a separate thread title, cause it's rather a unique concept than "just wallpaper". And I didn't want the concept to be buried along with a bunch of Transformers, Hello Kitties, or whatevertheheck pics that the children are plastering their phones with. :p

Ok. While Wallpaper on the iPhone does allow you some personalization, I think a lot of folks have overlooked it's potential.

I assume everyone locks their phones, right? Don't want all your personal bits to fall into the wrong hands? Seems justified for your new piece of plunder that's synced to the rest of your life online. Well, what if ~(gasp)~ you lose your phone?

Someone finds your iPhone, powers it up and they're greeted with your locked device and your particular choice of Wallpaper. :sick: That's it. They can stare at some clownfish. But they have no way to find you.

Maybe if they dropped it off at the Apple or AT&T store, the employees would associate the serial number of the phone with you and contact you. But that's a thought that may not occur to someone who finds a cellphone, or in this case, a $500-600 iPhone.

SO, here's the suggestion... take your nifty new bit of Wallpaper artwork that you want to use on your iPhone. And bring it into any program that can do basic graphic editing, select a font color that stands out from your wallpaper and add the following:

"If found, please return to an Apple/AT&T store so that this phone can be returned to it's owner."

-or, if you want to be more direct and eliminate the middleman -

Owner: Your Name, Contact number (other than your iPhone :p)

Perhaps include "Reward when returned" if you're so inclined.

Then save it to an image format that the iPhone accepts and import it into iPhoto. Sync with iPhone, select as Wallpaper, and voila.

You've now truly personalized your newfound toy. :cool:

I'm sure folks sharper than me have some better suggestions of how to include contact info within the wallpaper, so let's hear them!

JnC

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
A backup approach if your phone is in some sort of sleeve, put a businesss card or equivalent between the phone and sleeve.

Or use a labelmaker to create a nice summary of your alternative contact info and stick that on the back of the phone.

GQmacguy

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
I'm thinking the "Reward when returned" would be the best ;)

I'm sure if someone "found" an iPhone laying around... they might have a moral conflict on returning it!

MomPOM

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NW Burbs of Chicago
Would someone really keep it? Maybe I'm just naive. I just know if I found it I would try my hardest to find the owner.

Then again I'm a sap. I almost gave my $600 to some old lady pushing a shopping cart down the street while waiting in line.

JnC

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Not everyone lives in Jersey. ;)

The point is if you don't give them a hint who it belongs to, it's less likely to be returned.

JnC

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
BTW, it appears that Helvetica is the iPhone font.

What I tried was to take a 640x480 landscape photo. Added about 80 black pixels to the top. Then type your contact info in white. It matches the other graphics quite well.

mryumyum

Nov 19, 2008
This is actually a great idea.
It can be done easily in Photoshop, or whatever program Mac uses.
I use the PhoneFound Owner Information application; it creates a custom wallpaper with your personal information right on it. You can find it in the App Store.

Visit www.phonefound.com to read more about it.

It also works for iPod touch, and it makes it easy for the finder to return it (if they are honest enough to do so ;))