Security questions

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by Ha Eun, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Ha Eun

Ha Eun New Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Hi all!
    I just received iPhone 5 yesterday and am having a hard time with Apple ID.
    "improve Apple ID Security" message pops up whenever I try to download from the app store.
    I hit 'continue' and finished the questions several times but the next pop up says "your session timed out. try again." Although I tried with new account that I opened right now, same thing happens. resetting the phone didn't work. And even Apple store guys couldn't help me with this.

I was not asked to set up three security questions, but only one, while I was opening the new account today, so thought that might be the reason. But i couldn't find where to reset the security questions on Apple website.

Can anyone help me with this issue?
    Thanks!

#1 Ha Eun, Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2014
  2. Nrevezzo

Nrevezzo Member
    Bronze

Apr 15, 2009
    You could try going into iTunes on your computer and logon to your account to insure that your account is setup properly. Then accessing it from your phone should not be a problem.

3. Sponsored Advertisement

4. talon90

talon90 Contributor
    Bronze

Jan 17, 2009
    You can find the security questions in iTunes. Once you open iTunes go to Store>View My Account and sign in. Once on your account page click on the Edit button to the right of your Apple ID as displayed.

It appears you can also go to "Appleid.apple.com" and change them there.

5. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Sep 7, 2010
    Finally updated my iPod to iOS 6.1.3 and now when trying to buy something, I enter my iTunes password and then am asked to verify by answering my security questions.
    Wasn't an immediate problem. Was able to use my older iPod to make the purchase.

The issue though is where can I review/alter those security questions in iTunes on my desktop PC.

Again, I know my password so don't want to reset it just to get to the security questions.

I just want to review/update the questions. Is this possible without a password reset of iTunes?

6. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Sep 7, 2010
    Nevermind, found the thing.

https://Appleid.apple.com

And I still have to answer my security questions before accessing the area. It makes sense on the website but what is the point to authorizing my PC and devices with iTunes and then asking me to verify against these security question at a frequency of once in two years? Really, the likelihood of forgetting the answers is reasonable.

At the very least, resetting this area should be available through a reset email that doesn't require a password change given how much of a nuisance that can be.

#5 iP5, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  7. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Jun 19, 2007
    Cut off one of your fingers and hold it up against the screen. Works every time. :D

8. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Sep 7, 2010
    Hmm, speaking of, I wonder if a fingerprint validation would allow one to skip all other security checks.
    Let me know and maybe I'll look for a businesss justification to get a 5s :D

And really, if after a fingerprint validation, passwords and security questions are still required then that is a total fail. Something along the lines of an Android version of an iOS classic or Apple maps, depending on your disposition ;).

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Dec 12, 2008
    No, it doesn't work like that. That would make it pointless.