See my computer from my iPhone?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

lucky8926

Bronze
Jun 16, 2007
Central IL
I did a few searches and didn't find anything, mainly because I'm not sure what to put in the search.... I remember a while back someone talking about how you can wirelessly connect to your computer via you ipone from anywhere ie: office, car, japan, etc. Basically I can see what is going on with my computer if i'm not at home. There was even talk about using the webcam to see what's going on in the room... Is this something that is actually out there? If so anyone have a link on how to do it?

mernst

Silver
Jul 11, 2007
Gulfport, Ms
http://code.google.com/p/telekinesis/

Features:

Stream music and videos from your computer learn how
Screen capture with mouse click and basic typing support
Simple iTunes Remote control
Browse your files
Run Applescript remotely
iSight image capture
Basic Spotlight search
Easily create and add more apps
Security Considerations

This is still a developer prototype and is intended only as a demo to get people started.
It will have the same access privileges as your user account
The login and password you specify will be stored on disk, so should be different, but as strong as your account password.
Don't leave it running if you aren't using it
Usage

Run iPhone Remote (Requires OS X 10.4)
Choose a web login/password
Open to https://<YOUR COMPUTER IP HERE>:5010 from your iPhone
If you want to access your computer from outside of your local network, you may need to configure your router or firewall to support it.

slapnutz

Nov 10, 2007
VNSea is a client you can dowload off the installer. I've used it, works pretty good. There's a free server called RealVNC that you can download to your computer, it gives you the ip address you need and you can set up a password for the connection.

Jul 21, 2007
It's quite simple really.

Install the VNsea app onto your iPhone - it's available through installer.

Install the Ultra VNC application on your PC - google it - it's a free download.

colombianito

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
It's quite simple really.

Install the VNsea app onto your iPhone - it's available through installer.

Install the Ultra VNC application on your PC - google it - it's a free download.
i downloaded themand all, but i cant seem to be able to make the iPhone access my computer... my ports in my router are open orsoi think but i just cant seem to make it work...

colombianito

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
never mind i got it.... my computers are all wireless, so i thought that maybe that had something to do...

so for future reference...your computer has to be physically connected to the internet....not wirelessly...

slapnutz

Nov 10, 2007
It's a two part process. You install VNsea using Installer on your iPhone. Then you download Real VNC and install it on your computer. I personally only install the server, and not the viewer because I only plan on using this on my iPhone.

When the install process is completed and Real VNC is running on your computer, go to the start menu, Real VNC, VNC Server 4 (User-Mode), and Configure User-Mode Settings.

The first tab that will pop up will be Authentication, there you can set up a password for the connection. Then click ok to save the settings.

Go click the start menu again, Real VNC, VNC Server 4 (User-Mode), then click Run VNC Server. An icon will show up in the system tray that says VNC on it. If you move your mouse over it and leave it for a second, it will tell you the IP address and port needed to connect.

Now you have everything you need. Go to the VNC program on your iPhone, click the + button to add a server. Type in the ip address with port, and you are good to go!

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Mernst covered it, and it's a really great app. I use it to check out what my computer is being used for, who's using it, etc, from a ton of places. I used it while in California (I'm on the east coast) last month.

lucky8926

Bronze
Jun 16, 2007
Central IL
I followed the instructions but it keeps telling me "connection could not be made to host "ip here" port "port here" I triple checked and the ip is correct, not sure about the host though. When I hover over the VNC icon only the ip comes up... I'm using a mac by the way.