Seidio gettin accessories

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I am happy to see that Seidio is going to make an inexpensive audio adapter with mic and answer button. But I can't believe they placed the mic/button so close to the connection to the iPhone. If the mic and button are less than 2 inches from the iPhone you might as well just use the iPhone.

Hopefully I am missing something, but it doesn't look like the cord is retracted at all.

--
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

seidioseidio

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
I am happy to see that Seidio is going to make an inexpensive audio adapter with mic and answer button. But I can't believe they placed the mic/button so close to the connection to the iPhone. If the mic and button are less than 2 inches from the iPhone you might as well just use the iPhone.

Hopefully I am missing something, but it doesn't look like the cord is retracted at all.

--
Mike
Hopefully I can clear this up for you. When a standard headphone adapter is plugged in, the iPhone's internal microphone is disabled. When a call comes in, our microphone gives you the ability to pick up your handset and answer it while leaving the adapter in place. The button can be used to answer the call or pause and play music.

Thanks

Seidio
forum@seidio.com

Iceblinkluck

Bronze
Mar 30, 2007
Long Island NY
Hopefully I can clear this up for you. When a standard headphone adapter is plugged in, the iPhone's internal microphone is disabled. When a call comes in, our microphone gives you the ability to pick up your handset and answer it while leaving the adapter in place. The button can be used to answer the call or pause and play music.

Thanks

Seidio
forum@seidio.com
Yes but since the microphone is so close to the phone you would have to hold the phone in your hand while talking in order for the mic to be effective. This is kind of pointless for a handsfree device. It seems like you would want the mic/button closer to your chest/mouth in order for the person to hear you speaking without holding the phone. For example if you are walking and have the iPhone in your pocket or are driving. I have not used this so I don't know how sensitive your mic is. Perhaps Seidio wants to send me this accessory and I will be happy to test it and write a review for you. :)

seidioseidio

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
Yes but since the microphone is so close to the phone you would have to hold the phone in your hand while talking in order for the mic to be effective.
This particular adapter is exactly for that customer. It's for the person who simply picks up their device, looks at the caller ID (or not) and puts the phone to their ear to answer.

This is kind of pointless for a handsfree device. It seems like you would want the mic/button closer to your chest/mouth in order for the person to hear you speaking without holding the phone.
If you're looking for handsfree then you could use either a bluetooth headset or our retractable headset adapter when it becomes available.

Thanks

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Hopefully I can clear this up for you. When a standard headphone adapter is plugged in, the iPhone's internal microphone is disabled.
Not true. When a standard headphone is plugged, with or without an adapter, the internal microphone is not disabled. EDIT: See my next reply for the problem with your company's standard adapter.

You not only can use the iPhone's internal microphone when using a standard adapter, but you can use it in speaker phone mode too.

When a call comes in, our microphone gives you the ability to pick up your handset and answer it while leaving the adapter in place.
You can do the same exact thing with a standard adapter, or with headphones that are small enough--or have been cut down to be small enough--to fit into the iPhone without an adapter.

Alas it sounds like you folks might have designed your adapter based on a misunderstanding of how the iPhone works.

The button can be used to answer the call or pause and play music.
Of course. I just don't see the point of having it 2" from the iPhone itself. If I was to buy an adapter like this, for instance, it would need to have the microphone and answer button closer to the headphones that are on my head.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to this thread!

--
Mike

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Hopefully I can clear this up for you. When a standard headphone adapter is plugged in, the iPhone's internal microphone is disabled.
OK, I think I see where your confusion is coming from: your standard adapter probably does cut off the microphone since, unlike the Belkin standard adapter, it is using 4 conductors instead of 3. I don't know why you designed it like this, as most people will use it with standard headphones--and they might still need to make phone calls using the iPhone's microphone.

In my opinion the current design of your standard adapter is flawed. I believe it should be withdrawn and replaced with one that works correctly (like Belkin's and others).

--
Mike

col3man

Aug 6, 2007
Ogunquit Maine
When a standard headphone adapter is plugged in, the iPhone's internal microphone is disabled
Hmm.. I plugged in a 3 lead (not 4 lead) headphone jack into the phone and I was able to:

Listen to stereo music on the iPod
Hear the phone in both headphones
Use the mic on the phone. (not disabled..)

maybe a bit more R&D would have discovered that a standard male 3.5mm stereo jack, (3 lead) with a slim head and female 3.5mm jack in close proximity will achieve exactly what you are doing in a much more elegant solution- This will be different from the Apple and griffin ones, as they have a 4 lead male part which disconnects the mic..

Coleman.

seidioseidio

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
OK. I've been corrected...

There are a couple of wrong assumptions here including some of my own. I've spoke with our engineers and as usual they know a lot more than I do. Here is some more information on our two iPhone adapters.

Standard Adapter
Our standard adapter does NOT cut off the microphone. In fact it is designed to exactly replicate the port coming out of the iPhone. Our adapter will work with both a standard headset or one with a microphone.

Adapter w/ Answer and Music Button
The button was put in to answer the phone call, but also for use as a simple music control. If you press the button once it will pause your music...twice will skip to the next song. When these controls are added, the microphone is disabled and must be brought out of the iPhone. It is not a flaw in the design, but a necessity of operation.

We are also in the process of designing a retractable headset adapter for those of you who prefer not to reach for your phone.

Thanks

Coach Z

Bronze
Aug 3, 2007
Seidio in my experience has some of the best accessories for wireless devices on the market. I've had several of their products for various BB and look forward to some more iPhone bits.

Coach Z

Bronze
Aug 3, 2007
Have you tried it or are you just saying that. I'd love to see some reviews before I grab one?
Thanks

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Have you tried it or are you just saying that. I'd love to see some reviews before I grab one?
A review isn't needed to see where the mic and answer button are located.

The Treo has a similar issue as far as headphones with mic/answer buttons are concerned (it uses a 4-conductor 2.5mm jack as opposed to the iPhone's 4-conductor 3.5mm jack) Like the iPhone its answer button can be used (with certain audio software) to control music tracks. But Seidio's headset adapter for the Treo is at least available in a retractable design that does not have the microphone and answer button inches from the Treo:

Much better IMO. With the above design you can extend the cord so the mic/button are closer to you than the device. Had this been the design used for the iPhone adapter I likely would have just ordered one and been happy. As of this writing Seidio does not have such an adapter for the iPhone listed on their Website.

--
Mike

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
We are also in the process of designing a retractable headset adapter for those of you who prefer not to reach for your phone.
Thank you. Had this been your only reply to this thread you would have batted 1000! :cool:

Seriously, thanks much for replying to this thread. My opinion of Seidio is restored.

--
Mike

MorningZ

Jul 18, 2007
It would have been great to order one of those, but the site doesn't like FedEx shipping to my office's physical address ("FedEx does not deliver to PO Boxes, APO, and FPO addresses. Shipping address has to be a physical address for receiving packages", and it most indeed is a physical address), so hell with it, i'll go elsewhere

seidioseidio

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
It would have been great to order one of those, but the site doesn't like FedEx shipping to my office's physical address ("FedEx does not deliver to PO Boxes, APO, and FPO addresses. Shipping address has to be a physical address for receiving packages", and it most indeed is a physical address), so hell with it, i'll go elsewhere
MorningZ,

I'm not sure where the problem lies, but I'm sure customer service can help you with your order. They can be reached at 832-204-1118.

Thanks

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
i have not tried it but there is no need to the answer button is in a crapy spot but this company does sell in ear.. get those.... if you like this company...