Seidio Obex vs Otterbox Armor vs Lifeproof

Discussion in 'iPhone Cases and Accessories' started by Ltzguy, May 5, 2013.

1. Ltzguy

Ltzguy Zealot
    Gold

This is an unbiased review. I bought these three cases with my own money and I wanted to post my opinion on them.

Life proof: (weight 30 grams)
    Pros
    -water proof
    -charge connector is easier to get to
    -you can buy it almost anywhere
    -I've had good luck with their customer service
    -super light, thin and not bulky
    -comes in many different colors
    -feels grippy

Cons:
    -harder to separate
    -oring sometimes is hard to deal with
    -screen sits off the screen more in some place
    -in my experience people can't hear me very well
    -I can't hear on it very well
    -you have to unscrew a headphone plug that you can lose easily
    -the auto dim doesn't work well and neither does the proximity sensor
    -not very tough or robust of a case
    -screen clarity sucks
    -screen scratches very easy and so does the case
    -flimsy charge port door breaks easily
    -you have to have a special adapter to use the headphones
    -causes a tunnel sound when talking on on the phone

Otter box armor (weight 114 grams!)
    Pros:

-very well constructed
    -looks and feels like it would survive anything
    -screen clarity is MUCH better
    -I can hear just fine
    -whoever I'm talking to can hear me perfect
    -the headphone jack does not require anything special. It's easy to get to also and nothing to lose
    -it's super easy to remove the phone and install it. Just two clasps. Easy
    -charge port easy to get to. No flimsy door to break.
    -otter box has great customer service
    -typing on it is a tad better than life proof
    -sound quality on speaker phone seems unaffected

Cons:
    -IT'S FRIGGING HUGE!
    -heavy
    -the home button is stiff and doesn't let you feel a positive click
    -more expensive. I paid $99 plus tax
    -the screen needs to go higher at the top. Touching the bar at the top to make pages scroll quickly to the top is very hard
    -also hard to type on the edges

Notes: the life proof case worked well on my iPhone 4 and 4s. They failed Miserably with the 5 in my opinion. I don't even like to use my life proof. The otter box works almost perfectly except for its size. If it wasn't so heavy and big, it would be a complete winner. If you can deal with its heft and hefty price tag, it's a well built case.

Seidio Obex: (weight 41 grams)

Plus:
    -audio quality is on par with otter box.
    -comfy to hold
    -looks really good
    -more rounded than the other cases
    -the edges where the screen and case meet are really low profile and is easier to type at the edge of the screen
    -screen clarity is better than life proof. The little dots to hold the plastic screen off the glass phone screen are not visible when the phone is lit
    -more comfortable to hold to your ear
    -seems to need the least amount of touch pressure to type than otter box and life proof
    -comes an extra set of rubber plugs for all ports
    -has a neat little home button that works well

Cons:
    -when snapping the case together, there is no definite click or snap like the life proof and otter box.
    -I don't like the side oring design as it looks like it could become dislodged easily upon installing.
    -it has a square rubber plug you pop out (is still retained in the case though) to get to the mute switch. Unless you have long nails or something to stick in there, your not reaching the switch. Big negative here.
    -two steps to get to the charge port. Fold breakable door down, then peel out rubber strip. I don't really like that too much.

Sent using iCafe app

Sent using iCafe app

2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

3. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Did u water test all three?

4. Ltzguy

Ltzguy Zealot
    Gold

Yes. They all passed. None of them had a drop of water in them.

Sent using iCafe app

5. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

Is the Siedio Obex your top pick? Do you return the cases or keep them?

6. Ltzguy

Ltzguy Zealot
    Gold

I'm keeping them.

My top pick. Hmmm. Let me clarify:

Top pick for daily use would be the obex. It's more comfortable than the otter box. It's lighter. It's not as sturdy as the otter box. When you close the otter box, you know it's closed and protected. The sound quality on the obex is in the middle of the lifeproof and the otter box. Otter box pretty much doesn't take away any sound. The obex probably cuts the sound 20-25% if I had to put a number on it and the life proof....well probably 40%. So to sum it up, I don't think I'll use the lifeproof unless I lose both the other cases. Obex will be my daily case and otter box will be used when I go camping or 4 wheeler riding. The silent switch cover popped open on me today for no reason on the obex. That would make me nervous in a wet environment. The obex plugs just aren't as secure.

Sent using iCafe app

7. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

Great Reviews and comparisons! Would love to see the Incipio Atlas also compared to these three. I saw the Obex on Amazon.com for about $50, Prime eligible and shipping from Amazon. Do you think it's a fake?

8. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

I can say that the Atlas is a bit heavier due to the glass screen, which was amazing! 'Was' being the keyword for me. My mute toggle stopped working, sound level was -25% of the LifeProof case. If people think the sound is muffled in a LP case, drop it in an Atlas. Lol
    Bottom latch on the Atlas holds water & the white/pink case ( fiancée ) had a horrible glare / washout when using the flash. Incipio's reply to my email on the glare? They actually told me the case was optimized for outdoor use & they would be glad to replace it with a darker colored case. ?!? If she wanted a darker colored case, wouldn't I have ordered it in the first place? Tsk tsk tsk on that reply. I even sent them these photos to show what I did to fix it... Which was putting my black Atlas back on the white case. Hmm no glare. ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1368025478.868782.jpg
    ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1368025503.201694.jpg
    Same lighting & pretty much same subject, minus 1 dog lol

9. Ltzguy

Ltzguy Zealot
    Gold

I got mine for $59 shipped and it was real. Maybe it is real. I dunno.

Sent using iCafe app

10. Ltzguy

Ltzguy Zealot
    Gold

Here's an indoor pic with my obex on. It is a black case tho.

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1368031077.373876.jpg

Sent using iCafe app

11. Ltzguy

Ltzguy Zealot
    Gold

I just received an email saying the griffin catalyst was available for sale now with limited quantities. I forgot months ago I signed up on the list. I went ahead and ordered one as it looked too damn cool not to have. It's the clear one with black trim is what I ordered. Figured if I didn't like it, I could sell it. I've already got people at work wanting to but my obex and otter box. I'm not so sure I wanna sell either. I like them both and I'm rocking a home made screen protector on the obex and ill make one for the otter here soon.

Here's a link if you haven't seen it yet.

http://www.catalystlifestyle.com/?utm_source=Survivor+%2B+Catalyst+Waterproof+Launch+Announcement&utm_campaign=7dc2324b03-Notify_Me_iphone_5_Email_List5_9_2013&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_97a2986998-7dc2324b03-339433013

Sent using iCafe app

12. Ltzguy

Ltzguy Zealot
    Gold

Well I'm back to the otter box. It does work better than the obex. I can hear better. I made a screen saver for it like I did on the obex because we all Know the plastic screens on the cases scratch easily. The touch sensitivity seems to be the same. I don't like the very edges on the otter box when typing however. My catalyst case shipped today on a sidenote

Sent using iCafe app

13. Mthoroughbred

Mthoroughbred Contributor
    Silver

Man your right that case looks the best of all. And cheaper too. Hope someone can get one and do a video review on it.

Sent using iCafe app

14. Mthoroughbred

Mthoroughbred Contributor
    Silver

You have to do a review on the Catalyst case as soon as you get it lol

Sent using iCafe app

15. Ltzguy

Ltzguy Zealot
    Gold

I hope it comes in today. I tracked it and it was in Cali on Monday and being shipped via USPS priority to me. I will post pics as soon as I get it.

Sent using iCafe app

16. Ltzguy

Ltzguy Zealot
    Gold

Looks like it will be here today. I tracked it again and it was in my city this morning at 3:30 a.m being sorted. So an initial impression will come this evening.

Sent using iCafe app

17. Ltzguy

Ltzguy Zealot
    Gold

Catalyst came in. I'm water testing it right now. Initial impressions. This is a nice case. Looks and build quality wise I'd probably rate it the best. Quality looks to be as good as the otterbox. Much lighter and thinner. It has a flap door like the lifeproof except it feels sturdier than lifeproof. The head phone plug is the same design as lifeproof but it has a slick built in tether. The back door is a snug fit with a latch on each side. As soon as I finish water testing ill take some pics, videos and make some calls to test it along with texting on it. Here's some pics in the mean time.

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1368746281.250606.jpg

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1368746291.874483.jpg

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1368746304.057047.jpg

Sent using iCafe app

18. Ltzguy

Ltzguy Zealot
    Gold

HOLY MOLY! I just figured out you don't unscrew the plug to flip the silent switch off. You just rotate it back and forth and it cuts it on or off! Pretty slick!

Sent using iCafe app

19. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

I have a Lifeproof set for delivery tomorrow. The Griffin sounds like it may even be better so I'm looking forward to your additional comments.

20. Ltzguy

Ltzguy Zealot
    Gold

So far I like the catalyst the most by far. Everyone here at work likes if more than the other three. I've made some calm with it and confirmed that the person on the other end can hear me just fine and I can hear just fine also. I think they improved this case greatly over the lifeproof. It's not grippy but I have no problem holding on to it. It does seem like it will scratch easily (not the screen tho). My fingers also glide or slide on the screen easier than the others. I recommend this case if your looking at waterproof cases.

Sent using iCafe app