Sekai Camera - Awesome Location-Based App

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
iPhone Hacks has a really cool article about Sekai Camera - an app made by a Japanese company.

Here's a YouTube sample of the app:

Cool huh? Well, the iPhone Hacks article says it really doesn't use much information from the camera but more from GPS/cell towers.

Would you buy it for a premium price of $9.99?

I suppose the usefulness of this app would depend on how many people in your area actually post reviews and things like that.

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
How is that even possible? I know you could do it by using the gps, but actually using the camera to get info about that place/item...thats insane! If they could really do that (and get enough info) I would definitely buy that!

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
YouTube says "The URL contained a malformed video ID."?

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
If GPS is only accurate at 25 or so meters, I don't see how this is possible to get information from a restaurant menu.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
that looks like its years away
even if it does come out as an app, a lot of the stuff they show in the video probably wont be possible

Jhors2

Bronze
Nov 11, 2007
it uses GPS with a combination of a variation of facial recognition essentially so it recognizes the part of a picture or a symbol and says thats the restaurant for example uploaded to the server and it compares that with what the restaurant put on the server information wise, its pretty crazy technology that i cant even imagine the complexity of how many systems it has to interface with and analyze to work.

deenybird

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
i agree that its awesome, but there's no way that photo recognition techniques are that good, and what someone else pointed out about gps location variances is true

Jhors2

Bronze
Nov 11, 2007
This was just a demo so the recognition is great for the selected things they wanted it to do, thats the hardest part of getting a full fledged app. I swear I saw this on G4 Tech TV a longgggg time ago, but for a different device obviously.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
does anyone remember that app they showed a long time ago where u just take a pic and it tells you what it is?
kinda like google but you use a picture instead of words

Jhors2

Bronze
Nov 11, 2007
I remember that! I just can't remember for the life of me what it was called, even if it was only a part of the picture it could still tell you, or even with an angle or whatever

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I remember that! I just can't remember for the life of me what it was called, even if it was only a part of the picture it could still tell you, or even with an angle or whatever
yeah thats the one
anyone remember?

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
How about iCall also? Still hoping for that one but we'll see.