Selective incoming call feature?

RRlocoENGR

Bronze
Jun 15, 2009
I have been using a Motorola i730 and have become accustomed to one of the features on this cell phone. It has profile settings that allows me to select who can ring my phone at any given time. I have it set up to only family, only work, etc...

I have a iPhone 3GS pre ordered and I am curious as to whether or not there is any such feature on that phone? If there is not a feature built into it, is there an app that can be added to do this?

It is a very good feature to have to allow only the contacts you desire to hear from at any given time. I use it a lot since I am on call with my job and when sleeping want them to be the only contact who can wake me if I am sleeping.

Thanks for any information someone might have!:)

RRlocoENGR

Bronze
Jun 15, 2009
Wow, that is the first time I have heard that one! I thought they say in the ads that there is an App for everything! LOL!

Thanks for your input, maybe someone else has heard about this and will post some info. I am going to be screwed without it. I am on call and when I am sleeping would like for my phone to be silent except when my employer calls.

It is a very cool feature and I am surprised that the iPhone does not already have it.

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
Wow, that is the first time I have heard that one! I thought they say in the ads that there is an App for everything! LOL!

Thanks for your input, maybe someone else has heard about this and will post some info. I am going to be screwed without it. I am on call and when I am sleeping would like for my phone to be silent except when my employer calls.

It is a very cool feature and I am surprised that the iPhone does not already have it.
RRloco...there is no a feature for this...but you can EASILY do it.

First, create a completely blank ringtone and upload it to your iPhone.

Second, for your employer's contact, assign him a different ringtone from your standard phone ringtone.

Before you go to sleep, change your standard ringer from whatever song or tone you have to the blank ringtone you uploaded.

Now, when your phone rings for anyone else, it won't make a peep. But for your employer, it will ring. When you wake up, just change the standard ringer to whatever you had it at before.

This may take one extra click than it would if it was a regular option...but it works just as well.

Let me know if you have any questions or I didn't explain it well enough.

RRlocoENGR

Bronze
Jun 15, 2009
how many people call you in the middle of the night besides your employer?
Well, in case you really need to know the entire story...I work all hours of the day and night, thereforee I am required to sleep during the day when my phone is pretty active.

Thanks!:p

RRlocoENGR

Bronze
Jun 15, 2009
Thanks a ton trnsilver! That sounds like a great idea. I will let you know how it works when I get my 3GS.

Nice to be connected to so many knowledgeable folks!

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
No problem. If you need me to make a blank audio file for you and even turn it into a ringtone file, I can do that in about 2 minutes.

FrankieG889D

Bronze
Mar 23, 2009

Hah, you'll be surprised what the iPhone doesn't/didn't have... It barely had the basics of a regular cell phone (MMS, video recording) until now, pretty sad actually.. but thats Apple for ya!

RRlocoENGR

Bronze
Jun 15, 2009
blank ringtone help

No problem. If you need me to make a blank audio file for you and even turn it into a ringtone file, I can do that in about 2 minutes.

trnsilver,

I am ready to set my 3GS up with the blank ringtone you suggested so that I can make my phone silent except for my employer. How would I create a blank ringtone or could you make one for me as you offered.

Thanks, I am pretty slick with some of this computer stuff, but have never done a ringtone from an audio file. Your explanation of how to make my iPhone do this was great!

Jeff:)

RRlocoENGR

Bronze
Jun 15, 2009
Selective ring app!

I don't think there's an app for that, but that does sound like a good idea.
I don't know where all the "app" guys get their ideas...but this would be a good project!

In my line of work when I am on call and need my rest, I would like for my employer to be the only one to be able to wake me. On the other hand, some weekends when I don't want the overtime I would like to keep them from ringing me.

Sometimes, you may just want your family to be able to ring you! Many scenarios, just a thought for an app! Put it out there!

Enjoying my new 3GS!;)

aknightstale41

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.

Second, for your employer's contact, assign him a different ringtone from your standard phone ringtone.
Now, when your phone rings for anyone else, it won't make a peep. But for your employer, it will ring. When you wake up, just change the standard ringer to whatever you had it at before.
Simply ingenius.

vansouza

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
Las Vegas, NV USA
www.usheroes.us

Before you go to sleep, change your standard ringer from whatever song or tone you have to the blank ringtone you uploaded.

This may take one extra click than it would if it was a regular option...but it works just as well.

WOW... that is just how I do it. Goose bumps...:)

RRlocoENGR

Bronze
Jun 15, 2009
Thanks again trnsilver!

WOW... that is just how I do it. Goose bumps...:)
While you were busy getting goose bumps, he was giving me a solution to my problem!:p Some problems may seem minute to you, but to some of us this forum is for getting information we don't understand.

I am glad to find some helpful people here on this forum.

vansouza

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
Las Vegas, NV USA
www.usheroes.us
While you were busy getting goose bumps, he was giving me a solution to my problem!:p Some problems may seem minute to you, but to some of us this forum is for getting information we don't understand.

I am glad to find some helpful people here on this forum.
Brat, relax. If he had not given you or whomever the solution, don't you think I would have? Or would you have me repeat the solution just to make you happy.?:cool:

RRlocoENGR

Bronze
Jun 15, 2009
Brat, relax. If he had not given you or whomever the solution, don't you think I would have? Or would you have me repeat the solution just to make you happy.?:cool:
There you have it...the obviously real you has come out in full color.

Have a great day!

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
trnsilver,

I am ready to set my 3GS up with the blank ringtone you suggested so that I can make my phone silent except for my employer. How would I create a blank ringtone or could you make one for me as you offered.

Thanks, I am pretty slick with some of this computer stuff, but have never done a ringtone from an audio file. Your explanation of how to make my iPhone do this was great!

Jeff:)
Do you still need this? I'm sorry, I just read it a minute ago for the first time.