Sell iPhone now and wait for 3G?

TyWebb

Bronze
Jul 22, 2007
Paradise, FL, USA
With the imminent release of the new iPhone coming in a few weeks, I am considering selling my current iPhone. I am thinking I can still get a decent price on ebay for it if I unlock it, then just get a free or cheap phone from AT&T until i can get the V2 iPhone.

I know i will be without my iPhone for a few weeks but this seems like the cheapest way to do an upgrade. Im assuming once the 3g iPhone is "officially" announced our old v1 iPhones are going to drop big time on the ebay market.

Does At&t offer any free or really cheap phones I can pick up during this transition. Is all this even worth it?

chcorey52

Silver
Dec 25, 2007
i agree with you on the unlocking and selling and ya im sure there are tons of cheap phones prob even free...good luck

overbo0st2k4

Bronze
Oct 17, 2007
Check out Craigslist for a cheap temporary phone...I did the same thing. Luckily for me, I had my old 8125 laying around.

chcorey52

Silver
Dec 25, 2007
are you thinking of getting a new plan or what? because itl be pretty expensive to pay the extra for edge if your not going to use it

overbo0st2k4

Bronze
Oct 17, 2007
Well, in my case, since I'm back on my old 8125, which has wifi and edge internet capabality, I just kept the same plan. Personally, worked out best for me and didn't have to get a pro-rated bill for changing anything. Plus, I'll be getting the v2 iPhone so I'm not worried about the plan.

chcorey52

Silver
Dec 25, 2007
oh ok that makes since i was just wondering because my last AT&T phone had 3g so i wasn't sure how many others used edge

sl0ppyshat

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
I considered doing this also, since you can get a pretty nice return still on ebay on unlocked iPhones.

However, I'm scared that the new iPhone might cost upwards of 700$

and im not willing to shell out that much for a phone

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I considered doing this also, since you can get a pretty nice return still on ebay on unlocked iPhones.

However, I'm scared that the new iPhone might cost upwards of 700$

and im not willing to shell out that much for a phone
It won't cost that much. Apple, and Apple customers, learned from that the first time around. It will be much more reasonable this time around, perhaps continuing in the iPod tradition of making a better product available at the same price. There are also those rumors that signing a 2 year AT&T contract when getting the phone will truly get you one for $200 less like it does with other phones.

Staszek

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
With the imminent release of the new iPhone coming in a few weeks, I am considering selling my current iPhone. I am thinking I can still get a decent price on ebay for it if I unlock it, then just get a free or cheap phone from AT&T until i can get the V2 iPhone.

I know i will be without my iPhone for a few weeks but this seems like the cheapest way to do an upgrade. Im assuming once the 3g iPhone is "officially" announced our old v1 iPhones are going to drop big time on the ebay market.

Does At&t offer any free or really cheap phones I can pick up during this transition. Is all this even worth it?

Since this is the first time I am not really sure, but I wouldn't think its going to be a huge drop. There are still a bunch of people who want this phone and are not going to go out and get the second version.

Also, if the ipod is any indicator (I know its a different market), the market for older generations hold their value very well. Its hard to find a 4g 20 gig non color screen ipod for less then $60 these days and that thing is 4 years old.

I am going to wait and sell mine after the 3g comes out, maybe I wont make as much as selling it now, but I am pretty sure I will still make a decent amount.

Staszek

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
It won't cost that much. Apple, and Apple customers, learned from that the first time around. It will be much more reasonable this time around, perhaps continuing in the iPod tradition of making a better product available at the same price. There are also those rumors that signing a 2 year AT&T contract when getting the phone will truly get you one for $200 less like it does with other phones.

Pretty sure that wont happen (the $200 less from AT&T). I could be wrong but it makes no financial sense for Apple to sell it any cheaper (or AT&T) then it does now.

They sell the tilt and blackberry for more then $199 now why would they give away something that people want. You only subsidize phones when not enough people are buying them, and from the iPhone sales figures it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Sure you would have more volume if you sold it at $199, but think of how much more you would have to sell to make up that difference.

Say you sell 4million iPhones at $399 that is $1.6 billion (rounded) at $199 thats 800 million (rounded), so basically to make the same amount of money they have to sell 4 million more iPhones.

Now lets look at it from another angle, AT&T already has to pay Apple X amount for the exclusivity which includes part of the iPhone plan monthly dollars. So add that in to the 800million they would lose just by subsidizing and it really looks bad.

That is something you do if you have vast inventory of things that you cannot get rid of and will take a loss to clear your books. Its not something you do with a hot product that they have no problems selling in the first place.

I could be completely wrong, but if AT&T does do this I would be VERY surprised, and think its a bad idea.

I will leave one last thought, why would Apple EVER agree to this. It would canabalize its own sales, hmm walk into AT&T and pay $199 or Apple and pay $399 where am I going? Sure I have to sign a 2 year agreement, but if I have to activate the thing anyway does that really matter? They are making you sign 2 year agreements now without subsidizing. Plus with the FCC ruling soon to end or drastically reduce contract termination fees it becomes a no brainer.

Sorry for the rant.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
If you want a cheap phone to use until the new iPhone comes out, grab one of those go-phones. I have family coming into town next month and I grabbed one of those phones for them. I purchased a $25 top up card in Best Buy and they gave me a go-phone for free.

The go-phones will all accept any AT&T SIM card, no matter what plan you are on.