Sell iPod touch 16GB, Buy iPhone 16GB?

Bitter

Sep 15, 2007
Alright, after today with the announcement of the new iPod touch and iPhone versions, I completely got pissed off. I buy, what I thought, was the best there is in terms of GB by buying a 16GB iPod touch instead of an iPhone because the iPhone doesn't have enough GB for my liking....NOW I see that there is a 16GB iPhone....I almost died. I spent the money on an iPod over an iPhone because I needed more space, but now the 16GB iPhone pretty much makes everything but the 32GB iPod touch obsolete. What the hell, Apple?!

So I am CONSIDERING, selling my jailbroken iPod touch 16GB with SIP-VoIP microphone, for an iPhone 16GB.

Should I do it? Or just deal with the greed that is Apple Inc.?
Is there a better way to cope with this?!

Bitter.

kylegod

Silver
Jan 1, 2008
Bethlehem, Pa
When did you buy it? If youre within 14 days go do an exchange and pay the difference. If its older then sell it and buy a phone. Itll be worth it

Bitter

Sep 15, 2007
I got my iPod touch in September, 2007.

And if I do sell it, what would be a good price? (I don't use Ebay)

Bitter.

Runamuck

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
Bitter,

I bought an iPod Touch 16g around Thanksgiving. Interestingly enough, it was the iPod Touch that convinced me to swap my Blackberry for an iPhone.

While I just did a swap for a 16g iPhone (as my 8g was within the 14 day return period), I have no plans to load it up with movies and such. My phone is my livelihood and my connection to my family when I travel, which is extensively. And the battery on the iPhone just is too short-lived to burn on movies and entertainment when I'm gone for extended periods from a charger. I need to keep the battery available for phone, email and web use. So I have an iPod Touch for my movies and music. Photo's and SOME music, like 15-20 albums' worth, went on my iPhone. I stuck a few small video podcasts on there for "throne" viewing....we all know what I'm talking about there. But that's it. I have to conserve battery there.

For long plane rides and such, however....I've got the iPod Touch. I don't mind burning the battery and it lasts longer as it's ONLY for media usage. I can watch 3-4 movies and get a lot a music time out of a single charge. More than enough for me.

I really like the convergence of the iPhone....I can plug it into my car stereo/charger, listen to tunes without draining the battery and if the phone rings, it pauses, I answer, and off I go. But I still see myself using both. YMMV of course.

I'd say keep what you have.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Bitter,

I bought an iPod Touch 16g around Thanksgiving. Interestingly enough, it was the iPod Touch that convinced me to swap my Blackberry for an iPhone.

While I just did a swap for a 16g iPhone (as my 8g was within the 14 day return period), I have no plans to load it up with movies and such. My phone is my livelihood and my connection to my family when I travel, which is extensively. And the battery on the iPhone just is too short-lived to burn on movies and entertainment when I'm gone for extended periods from a charger. I need to keep the battery available for phone, email and web use. So I have an iPod Touch for my movies and music. Photo's and SOME music, like 15-20 albums' worth, went on my iPhone. I stuck a few small video podcasts on there for "throne" viewing....we all know what I'm talking about there. But that's it. I have to conserve battery there.

For long plane rides and such, however....I've got the iPod Touch. I don't mind burning the battery and it lasts longer as it's ONLY for media usage. I can watch 3-4 movies and get a lot a music time out of a single charge. More than enough for me.

I really like the convergence of the iPhone....I can plug it into my car stereo/charger, listen to tunes without draining the battery and if the phone rings, it pauses, I answer, and off I go. But I still see myself using both. YMMV of course.

I'd say keep what you have.
did you have to pay the 10% restock when you swapped your 8 gig for the 16 gig?

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
What are you going to do with the OTHER 15 GB's? Why switch from an 8GB? Just in the hope that the battery MIGHT last longer?

Runamuck

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
What are you going to do with the OTHER 15 GB's? Why switch from an 8GB? Just in the hope that the battery MIGHT last longer?
Can't tell if you were asking me....

But given what I've already seen of some of the unofficial SDK apps on the horizon, they are serious memory hogs. The iPhone's file system isn't the most efficient. I expect to use the extra memory for apps.

If not...no biggie. I already have an app for my Mac that lets me use the iPhone/iPod Touch extra memory for file storage. One helluva expensive thumbdrive to be sure, but it's nice to have my important files backed up.

Oct 24, 2007
New Jersey
So why are you so "bitter" Bitter? You bought a piece of technology 5 months ago and something new came out that had larger capacity and you want to complain about that? I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I just find it funny that you feel slighted. That is the trend of technology so like everyone else in this world, we have to accept it.
I still find it funny how people were upset of the price drop. I bought my iPhone when they first came out an I bought the 4GB because I had a 30GB Zune and didn't think I would need that much space. Well, I was happy with my iPhone and what I paid for it and thought Apple was gracious to give me a $100 credit, which I could have cared less if they never offered it. You are way outside of launch date and bought it 5 months ago, so please let's not start the can't believe Apple had the nerve to better their product.

Bitter

Sep 15, 2007
So why are you so "bitter" Bitter? You bought a piece of technology 5 months ago and something new came out that had larger capacity and you want to complain about that? I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I just find it funny that you feel slighted. That is the trend of technology so like everyone else in this world, we have to accept it.
I still find it funny how people were upset of the price drop. I bought my iPhone when they first came out an I bought the 4GB because I had a 30GB Zune and didn't think I would need that much space. Well, I was happy with my iPhone and what I paid for it and thought Apple was gracious to give me a $100 credit, which I could have cared less if they never offered it. You are way outside of launch date and bought it 5 months ago, so please let's not start the can't believe Apple had the nerve to better their product.
Bitter is just the alias I go by. It was one I had for years, and to avoid confusion around people, I just kept it ever since. It is not relevant now, but it stuck with me.

Anyways, does anyone know what the plans are for the iPhone using AT&T? (If there is anything specific for the iPhone)

Bitter.

Runamuck

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
I've read that Apple and AT&T have a 5 year exclusivity deal for the iPhone. Of course, unlocking methods are always just a step behind the official releases, so it's not that big of a deal.

However, the only AT&T specific feature I've read about that relates to the iPhone is visual voice mail. That appears to be something you can only get on AT&T service. Which is totally meh in my book.

Spikefood

Bronze
Oct 3, 2007
I'd suggest finding someone who will buy your iPod touch first. That way you'll get the money then go get the iPhone immediately afterwards. If your willing to fork out the extra money then go for it.

Bitter

Sep 15, 2007
I am trying to think of how much the iPhone will cost me in the end. Are the plans expensive? I hear it can really burn a hole in your pocket with the monthly charges.

Bitter.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
From what I understand, the 5 year deal was only barring them from introducing a CDMA version, and that there is a shorter period of time after which they can start introducing the phone on other gsm providers. My guess is their main intent was to keep the big two CDMA providers (sprint and verizon) from getting a hold of it. I can't find where this statement was clarified now, so I might be mistaken, but it could make a big difference.

At&t's rate plans are the usual variety. Where the iPhone comes in is the data plan. It includes unlimited data, and your text message allowance determines the price. 200 for $20 (on top of the rate plan), 1500 for $30 and unlimited for $40 I think.

In my personal experience AT&T is a stellar provider of customer service. In the last month, I've had to upgrade my text message allowance, and inquire about upgrading my rate plan. In the text messaging case, the rep credited my account with what the overage texts cost me. In both cases, the upgrade can be done without re-upping the two year agreement, which is something I found to be a bit of a haggle with verizon. AT&T appears to want to go the extra mile and make us happy campers. They're worth the shot.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Bitter is just the alias I go by. It was one I had for years, and to avoid confusion around people, I just kept it ever since. It is not relevant now, but it stuck with me.

Anyways, does anyone know what the plans are for the iPhone using AT&T? (If there is anything specific for the iPhone)

Bitter.
It depends on the plan! The cheapest is $59/month, which includes free text messaging and unlimited internet access. The difference is in the number of minutes you ask for, of course.
if you go to Europe with it, turn everything off or you'll be broke in no time, I heard.

Bitter

Sep 15, 2007
Eek, $60 a month, that would kill me financially. I am only 16, and my only income is through an online businesss. I can afford the iPhone easily, but over time, paying $60 a month for the cheapest plan would probably put me in debt =/

Bitter.

Spikefood

Bronze
Oct 3, 2007
Eek, $60 a month, that would kill me financially. I am only 16, and my only income is through an online businesss. I can afford the iPhone easily, but over time, paying $60 a month for the cheapest plan would probably put me in debt =/

Bitter.
Stick with the 16gig iPod touch then. Only missing a few things from the iPhone.

Bitter

Sep 15, 2007
I think the one thing that is killing me is no camera and EDGE. If the iPod touch had that, I would be in heaven. But oh well, thanks for all of the help everyone. I appreciate the quick responses.

Bitter.

Spikefood

Bronze
Oct 3, 2007
I think the one thing that is killing me is no camera and EDGE. If the iPod touch had that, I would be in heaven. But oh well, thanks for all of the help everyone. I appreciate the quick responses.

Bitter.
Nothing special about the camera, its not that great.