Sell my iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nur2652, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Nur2652

Nur2652 Member
    Bronze

I want to leave iPhone and get an htc evo 4, I have an iPhone 4 16gb 4.0 server. Mint not s scratch on it. Been in an otterbox defender, I've heard of phones selling for hundreds over store cost. 1, how is that possible and 2, what and where is best place to get most money for phone. Comes with box,charger, and otterbox defender case. Thanks.

2. babalao20

babalao20 New Member
    Bronze

Here is the right place to sell it and get back all your money. U are at the right place here now, so wait a moment for a buyer.

3. jcmitchell5

jcmitchell5 Contributor
    Silver

I sold mine on craigslist. The reason you can sell them for so much more is because some people don't have an available upgrade so they buy them from someone else instead of paying the more expensive outright cost through AT&T or Apple. I posted my 3GS on craigslist one morning for 350 and had it sold by the next day. Just find out how much you want for it and let people know on here or on craigslist and it will sell quick.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The reason you can sell it for more than you paid for it is that you didn't pay the actual value when you bought it. You paid $200, if you were eligible for full subsidization through AT&T, but the actual value was $600 at that time. AT&T can sell them for much less than the actual value because they recoup their initial loss through your monthly bill over your 2 year contract period. If you do not finish your contract, you will need to pay the ETF (early termination fee). It starts out at $325, but it is prorated and decreases by $10 per month for each month of the contract you have fulfilled.

The reason the buyer is willing to pay actual value is that they aren't locking themselves into a contract. Many of the sales in the US are to people that are on T-Mobile. T-Mobile doesn't sell iPhones, but they can be used on their network if the iPhone has been software unlocked or is factory unlocked.

You'll still make a profit by selling it right now. Your ETF will probably be less than $300, but you should easily be able to sell it for more than that on eBay.

5. neochuck

neochuck New Member
    Bronze

Thank you for that useful post!

6. kyleplusitunes

Silver

I read this as "hi I'd like to trade my pound of gold for a pound of poop, any takers?"

7. jcmitchell5

jcmitchell5 Contributor
    Silver

Oh... I see what you did there. Touché.

8. Cjvdh

Cjvdh Zealot
    Gold

eBay, Craigslist are your best bet. You don't have many post here so many times people on EiC are skeptical to buy from new people. Which I can't blame them.

9. nutsack

nutsack Guest

ruuulz lulzy

10. IllusionEntity

IllusionEntity Evangelist
    Gold

I had the HTC HD7. Now I have the iPhone 4. Nuff said...

11. Nur2652

Nur2652 Member
    Bronze

Had a few questions, I don't want to mislead anyone. I'm planning on selling my 4 to upgrade, here's my question when I got the phone I put a case same day and got the otterbox defender the day it came out. The phone doesn't even have a single scratch on it, I'm thinking reset to factory settings and put back in box with book, cables etc. Now my main ? Is how to advertise it. Do I say used iPhone 4 16gb, do I say new? Do I say reset to factory settings, you guys see where I'm going with this, again I don't want to mislead anyone. Also it's having the issue sometimes with the home button that others are also having. Thanks for responses.

12. btitus

btitus Contributor
    Silver

It's obviously used so I wouldn't imagine that you could HONESTLY sell it as new. Like New would probably be a more accurate description. The issues with the home button should definitely be mentioned as well in the spirit of not wanting to mislead anyone.... Including the Otterbox case would be a good selling point as well. Just my 2cents...

13. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

If it is still under warranty, call Apple about the home button issue. They will make you jump through a hoop or 2 and then exchange it for you. Then sell the replacement as new in box.