Selling 3G for 3GS - Update or Not

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
I plan to sell my 3G in order to make up some cash I will be spending for the 3Gs. Should I not update to the 3.0 Firmware when it is released thereforee leaving the door open to buyers who plan to unlock the phone? If I did update to 3.0, couldn't I always just restore back to the 2.2.1 firmware before selling?

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
You can probably downgrade the firmware, but unless you have the right bootloader the baseband cannot be downgraded. There is a chance, if your on 2.2.1, that you cannot software unlock your phone. If you can unlock it...do so, it will get a higher price, and if the buyer wants it on 3.0...they can do it themselves with iTunes.

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
You can probably downgrade the firmware, but unless you have the right bootloader the baseband cannot be downgraded. There is a chance, if your on 2.2.1, that you cannot software unlock your phone. If you can unlock it...do so, it will get a higher price, and if the buyer wants it on 3.0...they can do it themselves with iTunes.
I have had a jailbroken iPhone since the first v1 was jailbroken. I have never unlocked though. Is this a process done similarly and by the same tool used to jailbreak? Is there a chance during the unlocking process that something could go wrong?

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
Would love to hear the differences and processes between jailbreaking and unlocking. Can you do both on 2.2.1?

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
As I understand it, and I have never unlocked so don't take my word for it, Once you jailbreak, you would use fuzzyband, from cydia, to downgrade your baseband (if needed and if possible, requires the older 5.08 bootloader). and You would unlock with yellowsnw, which is found in cydia, I think.

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
All I heard was "blah blah blah downgrade blah blah blah."

Don't know what any of those things are.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
Would love to hear the differences and processes between jailbreaking and unlocking. Can you do both on 2.2.1?
Jailbreaking simply opens the file system, unlocking unlocks the device to be used on other carriers. You can be jailbroken without being unlocked but you cannot unlock without being jailbroken. You can easily jailbreak 2.2.1, currently the baseband that ships with 2.2.1 cannot be unlocked. There is a program in cydia that allows you to downgrade the baseband, if you have the correct bootloader. All this applies to the 3G. The V1 can be unlocked with quickpwn, no matter what firmware.

All I heard was "blah blah blah downgrade blah blah blah."

Don't know what any of those things are.
Sorry, don't know how to simplify it more.

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
No, that was perfect, you explained it well the 2nd time! :)

Are all those things you mentioned programs that I can download and use?

Can 2.2.1 never be unlocked, or just not right now AKA they are working on it?

Can I "F" this up if I follow directions or is it pretty easy?

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
Hmm. I bought my 3G probably last August and it has been jailbroken for the past 5 months or so. So if I go in Cydia and download the programs from the earlier posts, you think I could unlock? Does unlocking do anything BUT allowing other carriers sim cards to be accepted? Is there a chance I could completely brick my iPhone?

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
I do not believe you can brick your phone, but I would research a bit before using fuzzyband. The only poster I know that has done it is Napolean_Phoneapart, others may have as well, but the is the only one I know has. All unlocking does is allow the phone to be used with other carriers. It doesn't seem like much, but this allows T-mobile users to buy your phone or even AT&T users that travel abroad, they can buy local sim cards and not be charged the international rates.

Listerman

Bronze
Sep 4, 2007
i restored my 3G to 2.2.1, jailbroke it, and ebay'd it for 400 buy it now.

sold in 7 hours, probably could of gotten more but it was a quick sale so definitely worth it.

hoits2000

Bronze
Mar 15, 2007
Next Thursday the unlock will be released for 3.0.

hoits2000

Bronze
Mar 15, 2007
check out modmyi, "there is something coming on thursday", jailbreak is already done, what else could be coming from the dev team? THey don't want to realease the unlock program before launch of 3.0 so Apple could have time to fix there hack.

I am not to sure about the 3GS though, maybe not unlockable for a little while, we wont know for sure until we see an official iPhone 3GS.

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
check out modmyi, "there is something coming on thursday", jailbreak is already done, what else could be coming from the dev team? THey don't want to realease the unlock program before launch of 3.0 so Apple could have time to fix there hack.

I am not to sure about the 3GS though, maybe not unlockable for a little while, we wont know for sure until we see an official iPhone 3GS.
I hope this is the case, then I can upgrade to 3.0 and sell it like that. I sold my first gen for $250 to some dude going oversees (right after 3G came out).

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
I hope this is the case, then I can upgrade to 3.0 and sell it like that. I sold my first gen for $250 to some dude going oversees (right after 3G came out).
Agreed, I have already decided to keep my 3G until the new phone gets here and I determine there are no problems with it, it would be sweet to be able to unlock my 3.0 3G before posting it on craigslist.

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
OMG I need this unlock to happen! That would be huge if I can put 3.0 software on my v1 and jailbreak & unlock and sell!

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
OMG I need this unlock to happen! That would be huge if I can put 3.0 software on my v1 and jailbreak & unlock and sell!
There is a pretty good chance you will be able to unlock even if 3G owners can't. I am not sure whether Apple changed the V1 baseband with the 3.0 update.