Selling iPhone, do I include the SIM card?

Fiona Brennan

Bronze
Feb 6, 2012
Someone wants to buy my iPhone, do I give them the SIM card or do they get their own?

Last edited by a moderator:

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Why the reason? I thought you were both smitten with Big Red?

I wish I knew when LTE was coming to LI. My trip up the coast this past weekend saw all sorts of LTE coverage in NY, Connecticut and MA.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Why the reason? I thought you were both smitten with Big Red?

I wish I knew when LTE was coming to LI. My trip up the coast this past weekend saw all sorts of LTE coverage in NY, Connecticut and MA.
We did some extensive testing in my area last week while we both had Verizon and AT&T iPhones. It turns out that the coverage is pretty comparable since AT&T has improved so much here in the past couple years. Because of this, I decided I didn't want to sacrifice faster 3G speeds and simultaneous voice and data. Additionally, my AT&T bill is slightly cheaper than it would be with Verizon. The downside is there isn't as much AT&T LTE coverage.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
We did some extensive testing in my area last week while we both had Verizon and AT&T iPhones. It turns out that the coverage is pretty comparable since AT&T has improved so much here in the past couple years. Because of this, I decided I didn't want to sacrifice faster 3G speeds and simultaneous voice and data. Additionally, my AT&T bill is slightly cheaper than it would be with Verizon. The downside is there isn't as much AT&T LTE coverage.
So the devil you know is better than the devil you don't. I'm in the same boat. Happy with my plan. If I left for Verizon it would feel like starting over again. I know that sounds weird, but new data plan, new provider -- no way to swap sims (although I haven't done much of this as of late).

I wish we had some sort of information on when they were rolling out LTE to new areas. From my research, they drop a press release a few weeks before they turn it on.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
So the devil you know is better than the devil you don't. I'm in the same boat. Happy with my plan. If I left for Verizon it would feel like starting over again. I know that sounds weird, but new data plan, new provider -- no way to swap sims (although I haven't done much of this as of late).

I wish we had some sort of information on when they were rolling out LTE to new areas. From my research, they drop a press release a few weeks before they turn it on.
Yeah, that's part of it. Being able to swap SIM cards is really nice and I don't want to start over with a new carrier, either. But mainly I'd say it's because that they have slower 3G and no simultaneous data and voice. Ultimately, access to LTE in the city here wasn't enough to sway me when I discovered that Verizon's 1xRTT and 3G coverage was fairly comparable to AT&T's GPRS, Edge and HSPA+ in the more remote areas around here.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD

I think you pretty much nailed my feelings on this as well. I've been a happy AT&T customer for years (ever since my brother told me, "Hey, take a look at this; I think you'll like it" and showed me the keynote for the first iPhone). I've had a generally good experience with AT&T and miss the simultaneous voice and data more than I thought I would (Mindi, you were right)*. Also, I'll get AT&T LTE here at home and AT&T does seem to be expanding pretty quickly now. Also, AT&T's 3g speeds are significantly faster than that of the other carriers, and that's important to me.

*I hate saying that to her because it gives her a big head. :D

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Fixed it for ya! :D

Did VZN refund all your dough (less the charges for services used) as you were in the 14 day return period?
I got a full refund for my Verizon iPhone and for Apple Care+. I'm not 100% certain that I won't get a bill from Verizon for cell services for the 3-day period that I had it, but I don't think I will.