Selling iPhone on Craigslist vs. eBay

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by EverythingApple, Sep 17, 2014.

1. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

I've got my 32GB iPhone 5 on Craigslist and have no hits as of yet.

#1 EverythingApple, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2015
  2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Demand went down after the Keynote. What price do you have listed?

3. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Do you have nice clear photos? After Europa helped me with that I got more hits on mine but of course no bids.

4. EverythingApple

Gold

$375 or best offer.

5. EverythingApple

Gold

Yes, I've got six photos posted. They were taken with the camera on my iMac and cropped.

6. EverythingApple

Gold

I took the photos with the phone in the case. Should I remove it and retake the pics?

I also said unlocked and jailbroken. It's not unlocked yet, but will do so prior to selling or when I get my new iPhone.

7. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Sold my mint unlocked 32GB 5 for $325 2 days ago on Craigslist...
    That included Mophie Helium juice pak
    Time is ticking on the 5 value, IMHO

#7 snowtrooper1966, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  8. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Europa suggested for me to only have two photos (phone off) without the case on it. I have one of the screen and one of the back. Also I took the photos using someone else's iPhone to get the full screen and back of the iPhone. Before I used my MacBook Pro, and that wasn't cutting it. Also according to Europa, 6 photos was 4 too many for my eBay listing. Now I just have the two. Hopefully I can attract more people and get more bids.

Having it say it'll stay jailbroken may be good if the buyer wants it to be, but what I would do is maybe remove that and then ask the buyer before you sell it. Mine won't be jailbroken anyways, but I updated to iOS 8 today.

9. EverythingApple

Gold

iOS 8 is out already? Thanks, I'll do what you suggested. Maybe I'll take the pics with my Olympus power shot camera.

10. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Yep iOS 8 came out today here at 12pm CST.

11. EverythingApple

Gold

I'm jailbroken. I guess that's why I never got the notification.

12. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

True that. It took me a while to see it in iTunes as well due to traffic.

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You want it to look like a phone someone would buy from Apple. It's important that it is not in a case for the pictures. Clear close up pictures are important. I definetly would not list this phone as unlocked since it is not unlocked yet and you don't know how soon you can get that done. I'm not sure if the 7.1.2 signing window closed yet, but you should sell the phone restored to factory settings so you can be certain all traces of your data are removed and also so they can start with a clean slate. Unfortunately, you might lose jailbreakabilty since you didn't restore it prior to iOS 8 coming out today. I would drop the price a little.

14. EverythingApple

Gold

Thanks, I'll do all that. Also, if I get a new iPhone, AT&T should unlock my iPhone, if I call and ask, right?

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yes. I think it takes two days. You have to restore to apply the unlock, so you are going to lose jailbreakabilty. There was a jailbreak tweak (SAM) to bypass the restore and just deactivate, but it hasn't been updated.

16. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

Couple questions.

First: does unlocking improve my chance of selling at a higher price? Does unlocking make the phone usable on networks other than Verizon which mine is on?

Second: when I got my 5. I sold my wife and i's 16gb 4's(not 4s) on eBay for $240 and $260 plus shipping with starting bid prices of $199 each. Am I better off starting at a lower bid price to get more bidders and possibly sell for more? Or take the safe route with a $199 starting price?

Also is it better to do a short or longer duration auction? I think I did a 3 day one last time.

Better to start the auction at a time where it would end in the evening? Morning? Afternoon?

My 6's are supposed to arrive by oct 14 so starting to plan on selling our two 5's.

I am also going to try craigslist to try to avoid all the ebay and PayPal fees..

Thanks for any input!
    Jon

Sent using iCafe app

#16 Jdsmitty10, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I do craigslist to avoid the PayPal fees, shipping and money hold. I usually have the cash in my hand a few hours after posting the ad.

If you're going to do eBay, it's best to do a one-day sale ending on Sunday. But you might as well list it now and end it on Sunday since Sunday is so far away.

Your Verizon iPhone 5 is already unlocked. They were sold that way. It won't work on AT&T LTE, though. The highest it can go is 4G HSPA+. It lacks the hardware bands for their fastest network. Other networks are hit and miss with LTE.

It will increase the value, but not as much as an unlocked AT&T phone for this reason.

18. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

It's looking like any start price seems to bid up in the $230-$260 range. Also seems like accessories don't really matter so I might as well keep my lightning cables. So craigslist works out that quick for you? That's good to hear.

Sent using iCafe app

19. EverythingApple

Gold

I got my iPhone 6 and want to sell my iPhone 5. I had an ad on Craigslist for $350, but got an offer for $250, and they want it unlocked. Is this acceptable? Thanks.

20. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Is the price acceptable? What size gb? I've seen the higher it is the more money people get on eBay. I got an offer of $250 on cl but it was already on eBay.