Selling Jailbroken 2G iPhone...

anodized

Bronze
Feb 18, 2008
What is the proper way to ship a jailbroken iPhone? I want to sell it on ebay but am unsure in what "state" to ship the phone. Should you be able to access the phone? I reset the memory then jailbroke it and now you can access all the features. Will the person be able to activate it like that?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
You simply need to state in the auction that the phone is jailbroken. These generally bring better prices than stock phones. Anyone looking for this type of phone will know what to do upon arrival. Good luck.

zh3388

Apr 19, 2009
you can see the ebay web,ad they all have ship way,you can also use that way,hehe

GADeputy

Bronze
Jan 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
If you want to get more money out of it make sure you jailbreak it AND unlock it. An unlocked iPhone usually gets anywhere from $50 to $75 more than one that is just jailbroken. People are more likely to buy it if they know that it will work on any cellphone service and not just AT&T.
I recently sold my old 8gb 2G and got $285 for it. That's not bad considering I only paid $199 for my new 16gb 3G.
Also, you don't need to include your old sim card when sending it out to the buyer. It's useless anyway.
I completely restored mine so there was nothing on it, made sure it had the current firmware, jailbroke/unlocked it, and then installed a few programs from Cydia just to show the buyer that it was indeed jailbroken. You might want to even put a few good games on it for them it you feel generous.
Make sure you take good, clear pictures of the screens showing that it has Installer, Cydia, and any apps that you include.
Also, including accessories like a screen protector, case, car charger... etc... will help fetch you a better price.

Hope that helps a little.

Oh, I forgot to mention. The going prices on 2g's has been dropping rapidly over the last few months so try to put it up on auction soon. You'll also get a better price if you leave it up for at least a week instead of just a day or two.

panzeriti

Bronze
Apr 15, 2009
keep it in the jailbroken state and most likely you can sell it for a few more bucks. If anything, it is very simple for the buyer to restore it back to original settings if they prefer.