Selling my iPhone soon... what do I need to do?

callisto9

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
IOWA
I just got my 3G iPhone a few weeks ago and will be selling my 1st gen iPhone soon. I'm planning on selling it locally or via some of the forums I belong to.

What do I need to do to the phone? Should I do a reset on it? I'd like to leave the games/apps on there for the next person, but would it be in my best interests to reset everything on the device?

Also, should I leave the SIM card in or out? It isn't tied to anything, right? I mean, you can use all the features of the iPhone except the phone without it being activated.

Sorry for the noob-ish questions, I've just never sold a phone I've had to activate before. I want to make sure the person who gets it 1) enjoys it and 2) doesn't have access to any of my data.

Thanks in advance. :laugh2:

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
restore and set up as a new phone. Take the sim out. Also wouldn't hurt to reset all settings.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
You can do everything through iTunes that you can do normaly. Take sim card out and the restore.

djv72

Mar 4, 2008
I just sold my iPhone on Ebay and purchased a 3G. Here is what I did:

go to Settings, General, Reset, Erase ALL Contents and Settings. This will take about 1 hour to do. Then I plugged the iPhone into my computer and it opened iTunes. From there I disconnected the iPhone and was able to see that all of my data was wiped. I did remove the sim card before I sent my iPhone to the buyer.

Thanks,
Dan

callisto9

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
IOWA
I just sold my iPhone on Ebay and purchased a 3G. Here is what I did:

go to Settings, General, Reset, Erase ALL Contents and Settings. This will take about 1 hour to do. Then I plugged the iPhone into my computer and it opened iTunes. From there I disconnected the iPhone and was able to see that all of my data was wiped. I did remove the sim card before I sent my iPhone to the buyer.

Thanks,
Dan
Thank you for the tip!

I just turned it on today and at first I got the "Slide for Emergency" screen then I rebooted and it said "Waiting for activation".

Is that what it's supposed to say? Is this normal?

I am erasing all data and content now.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
Is there a sim card in the phone? If not then that is normal. Don't mess with the phone when your doing the erase all content. I would also plug the phone In to a charger.

MacArt

Jan 6, 2009
How do you go about removing the sim from the phone? Aren't Apple or the network provider meant to be the only ones able to remove them?

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
How do you go about removing the sim from the phone? Aren't Apple or the network provider meant to be the only ones able to remove them?
No...Theres a little indented button somewhere on the phone that you press in with a paperclip. This will pop out the sim tray.

callisto9

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
IOWA
Is there a sim card in the phone? If not then that is normal. Don't mess with the phone when your doing the erase all content. I would also plug the phone In to a charger.
Yes, there was a SIM card (my old one) in the phone.

Phone is now cleared. When I first boot it up it says awaiting activation and there's a button to dismiss. I'm assuming that's OK?

No...Theres a little indented button somewhere on the phone that you press in with a paperclip. This will pop out the sim tray.
Karen, buy my phone. Make dual iPhone headphones with them! :p