Selling on eBay... tips for success?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by psylichon, May 19, 2010.

1. psylichon

psylichon Genius

A lot of us will be selling our iPhones shortly, so I thought it might be a good idea to make a thread to gather all the selling tips we've picked up over the years. I've personally only sold one iPhone on eBay (one of my V1 8GBs), so I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to this stuff. A couple things I have learned:

1. Make your auction short... a couple days max. Most people wait until the last minute to pounce anyway.

2. Try to have your auction end on a Sunday evening. Prime time.

3. Don't ship to Nigeria. :eek:k:eek:k

Seriously, that's almost the extent of my knowledge. I get confused on the difference between buy it now and reserve and what rules to follow when shipping internationally to protect yourself. So if anyone with some more experience would be so kind, please feel free to add to the thread.

Thanks!

2. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

I've always had great luck with selling an unlocked, jailbroken iPhone. I've never gotten less than $320 for an iPhone.

3. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

Offer free shipping, but remember that it will cost you for the insurance. And get a signature on receipt. I ONLYaccept payment via PayPal and ONLY ship to a PayPal Confirmed address. Remember, folks can pay with PayPal even if they don't have an account. I also have a standard Shipping and return policy that says: "You may only return the product if it does not operate properly, is DOA or its condition has been misrepresented in the photos or description."

4. iNinja

iNinja Zealot
    Gold

I always take accurate photos - including close up pictures of any damage or marks. There is nothing worse that the phone selling for quite a lot of $$ because someone bids in the heat of the moment only for them to contact you saying it doesn't match up with its description and they want a refund.

5. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Thanks guys... keep 'em coming. Any advice on the "buy it now" option? How is that different from setting a minimum bid/reserve? I'm going to try Craigslist for a bit first, but will be starting an auction soon if that doesn't work out.

6. macscac

macscac Member
    Bronze

i have always had good luck w/ phones on the bay..
    its all about the pictures.
    take good ones. make that phone shine! stage it nicely around the accessories.
    talk about how its always been in a case.. ( i put a piece of tape over my chrome Apple before i ever use it so it never scratches)
    show close ups that the back of the phone looks brand new.

start at 99cents. free shipping. 3 day auction. end on sunday.
    ship conus only.
    have a buddy bid up your auction for you an hour before it ends (joking!)

im sure that the ebay market will be flooded with iPhones in the next 2 months..
    my wife will be getting my 3gs and i will be selling her 8gig 3g on the bay. not sure if ill sell straight away or wait a few months for the initial rush to die down

7. Eninety2

Eninety2 Member
    Silver

ive been seeing a weird trend lately on ebay. its an old trick to avoid ebay fees. the phone sells for like $100 but they charge $400 for shipping. I wonder if you are allowed to do that?

8. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

Buy it now (BIN) and Reserve cost, but not much.

BIN is a nice idea, but remember that the BIN price only shows until the first bid is made, then it goes away. Often an interested party will make a minimum bit right away to keep anyone else from exercising BIN.

Reserve pricing is a nice tool, but I prefer to use a minimum bid that is a bit below what I'm willing to take.

For example, since we're talking about iPhone here, I might be willing to take $300 but would like to have more. If iPhones similar to mine are selling well, I might set a minimum bid at $250 knowing that it will probably go beyond $300, and bids generate more bids. Then I'd set a BIN at $425. These numbers are subjective but I think you get my point. I feel that Reserves tend to limit bidding if the minimum is set well below the reserve. What happens in these cases is someone bids $150 which is your minimum and it immediately says 'reserve not met'. It continues to say that for every bid until they get to your reserve of $250, and I think that hurts your bid process. Better to have no reserve and set a higher starting bid. Then put * NO RESERVE* SHORT AUCTION * in you second title line.

9. Eninety2

Eninety2 Member
    Silver

actually if you have a BIN and a reserve the BIN doesn't go away until the reserve price is met.

10. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Thanks guys. Yeah, I was wondering about that because I almost always "buy it now" when I'm a shopper on Ebay, and I know I've bought things with bids on them already.

So Rick, you think setting the Reserve to the least you want to take is asking too much? If I want minimum $400, should I set reserve at $375 then B.I.N. at around $500?

11. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

Dave, if I was willing to take $400 then I wouldn't set a Reserve at all, I'd start bidding at $350-$375 and let 'er rip with a BIN of $500. This is predicated on finding similar successful closed auctions going above your $400 desired price. Bids encourage more bids, unless the dreaded 'reserve not met' is displayed. All IMHO.

12. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Don't format the bejesus out of your auction page. I stick to well-worded plain text. Anything else just looks like you're screaming for attention.

NO CAPS.

Try to sound friendly and offer to respond to questions (and actually respond to the questions).

Post pictures.

Only ship to verified addresses. There are shipping scams that can take advantage of you if you ship to an unverified address.

13. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

NEVER accept Money Orders. Ever.

14. greemie

greemie New Member
    Bronze

For iPhone auctions, you don't need a reserve to keep the BIN there. The BIN goes away when the bid is about half way there.

15. can

can New Member

If you can fix anything you put up on e-bay before you list it do it. The resell value on a 'as is' product is pretty bad

16. can

can New Member

Thanks for the pointers I don't use ebay at a lot but i might want to sell some stuff in a short while thanks again.

17. billnye97

billnye97 Contributor
    Silver

The problem with setting it at a higher starting bid is that eBay charges you more fees. Same with Buy it Now and Reserve. I generally don't do all three because the fees get outrageous (plus the Paypal fees). I either reserve it or start it at a higher price. I only ship to the US which might limit the overall total you get but the hassle of sending something overseas is not worth it in my opinion.

18. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

The insertion fee is minimal, maxes at $2 for items over $200. BIN is only $.25! Setting a Reserve costs the most at 1%. Most of your fees come from the Final Value fee which is 9% with a max of $50. Come on, you're selling a valuable item and you want the best price, spend $2.25 or whatever you need to up front to get the best chances. And remember, your BIN must be at lest 10% higher than your opening bid.

19. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Listen to Rick. He gives good advice. My 32GB 3GS just sold for $425. Since my auction has ended, I feel alright providing the link for education purposes. :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190399681035&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

I set my auction for 3 days with no reserve, free shipping, minimum bid $350, buy it now at $500. I included 4 pictures, paid for large pics, and threw in a little plug for my moderatorship at this site (never hurts :cool:). For not being unlocked, I'm pretty happy with what I got for it.

Anyone wanting to upgrade to the new phone who has a good-condition 3GS, especially if it's unlockable, needs to be checking out eBay like... right now.

20. kdarling

kdarling New Member
    Bronze

End it on Sunday evening UNLESS that will be a holiday (like this weekend) when many people will be away.

I get the best deals when winning holiday auctions!