Selling on eBay... tips for success?

john_T

Silver
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
New tip:

Use GarageSale. I've always had it, but just began to use it. It works wonders. For an example check out my sig. That's basically how people make those beautiful auctions.

It really catches the eyes of bidders as well.

Cjvdh

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2009
York, PA
www.twitter.com
Tips/Questions - iPhone 3GS 32GB on eBay

Okay so I want to put my phone on eBay I am not a newb or anything to eBay but I would like to ask a few question since I will be selling a high dollar item. Should I set a reserve or just straight start the bid at 0.99 cents also if I do that and it only brings in 250.00 dollars do I have to sell it? Will I get negative feedback? Also I have a pretty much mint iPhone 3GS White in 32GB comes with EVERYTHING! Phone, Headphones, USB Cable, Documentation, etc what could I expect to get for it? Any tips or anything like that would be greatly appreciated I seen on eBay some iPhones going for 700 bucks and then I seen some of them going for 400 bucks so I just don't know what to expect also I am running 3.1.3(7E18) Model MB718LL

Thanks for all of the help guys!

Calvinle88

Bronze
May 15, 2010
Expect to get back half of what you paid for the phone

Okay so I want to put my phone on eBay I am not a newb or anything to eBay but I would like to ask a few question since I will be selling a high dollar item. Should I set a reserve or just straight start the bid at 0.99 cents also if I do that and it only brings in 250.00 dollars do I have to sell it? Will I get negative feedback? Also I have a pretty much mint iPhone 3GS White in 32GB comes with EVERYTHING! Phone, Headphones, USB Cable, Documentation, etc what could I expect to get for it? Any tips or anything like that would be greatly appreciated I seen on eBay some iPhones going for 700 bucks and then I seen some of them going for 400 bucks so I just don't know what to expect also I am running 3.1.3(7E18) Model MB718LL
Thanks for all of the help guys!
A fair price to get for your iPhone would be exactly half of what you paid for it. Also, depending on the age of your phone, the longer you had it with you, the less it should cost because on account of usage/wear and tear. Check up on eBay the current amount being offered by sellers and you would get a reasonable figure. Peg your expected amount to it and you should be fairly compensated. Taking the above two figures i.e. 700+400=1100/2 gets you $550 which is a reasonable reserve price. You could of course start off the bidding with a SB(Starting Bid Price) of USD400, and the RP(Reserve Price) of USD550. If the bidding goes beyond your reserve price, you are in luck. People bidding below your reserve price will not be able to get your item. Do beware of starting the bid at USD0.99cents. I once was able to get a reasonably good condition sports mountain bike costing USD1000/- for just that amount because there was no reserve price. The seller could not back out of the transaction because he was bound to sell to the highest bidder.

Hope that helps.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Expect to get back half of what you paid for the phone
They are subsidized and worth much more than we pay for them. The $299 iPhone is $699 contract-free. You can usually break even when you sell them a year later because the buyer pays actual value and isn't getting locked into a contract.

Calvinle88

Bronze
May 15, 2010
One question, what is the minimum amount you are looking at and how old is your phone? A year old iPhone can look pretty mint if well taken care of. A month old almost new phone can look pretty tattered if thrashed about like what some of my friends do. They chuck and toss the costly and pricey article around like a piece of thrash. I wince whenever they treat expensive stuff like that. What jokers. But of course, they have money to throw around and can always get a new one whenever they wish. Losing an iPhone to them is immaterial and they have lost several due to drunkenness and carelessness. How I envy them whenever they show off their NEW replacement iPhone.

Krunk83

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2008
I sold my 3G for $330 on eBay and I paid $200 for it so that other poster talking about half price is wrong. I also sold mine jailbroken and unlocked. Don't put a reserve on it as it will scare potential bidders away. Offer free shipping. Make sure it ends on Sunday afternoon or night. Start the bidding at around $150-200, worst would happen is that no one bids and you relist it. Once one person bids no one will pa attention to the starting price. I would suggest jailbreaking it and unlocking it if you can. It would add $100-200 more in your pocket. Sell it with the box it came in.

tonyt3524

Bronze
Jun 18, 2009
ok so i am selling my 3GS on eBay in the coming week and I have a question, I do have to take the sim card OUT even though the iPhone 4 is coming with a micro sim? And how do i go about taking it out? And is that all i have to do before I ship out other than going through and deleting everything.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
ok so i am selling my 3GS on eBay in the coming week and I have a question, I do have to take the sim card OUT even though the iPhone 4 is coming with a micro sim? And how do i go about taking it out? And is that all i have to do before I ship out other than going through and deleting everything.
There is a SIM ejection tool ( try saying that with a straight face) in the box. If you have lost that extremely valuable and handy tool, use a paper clip! :) You push the tool into the tiny hole at the top of the phone. The SIM tray then pops out.

I would restore as a new phone before you ship it.

Krunk83

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2008
tonyt3524 said:
Yep that's it. Unless your are jailbreaking and unlocking it.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Merged with the thread I linked 8 posts ago...

Clemsonjoe

Bronze
Mar 17, 2009
Johns Creek, GA
I'm selling my 3G on eBay right now with the the auction ending this Sunday (13th). Assuming it sells and I ship it off, I'm planning on just popping my SIM card into my old Blackberry Pearl until the 24th.

Anyone have experience with this? Should I expect to have any issues using the BB? Will AT&T know I'm using a BB and will I have to change my plan to reflect that?

TIA!

Cjvdh

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2009
York, PA
www.twitter.com
I just posted mine up on eBay I guess I am not aloud to post the link to show you guys to make sure I did everything right but I started the bid at 0.99 cents and I put the auction up for 7 days I know short auctions are better however seven days from today is the 15th in which I can then pre order for the new one and I have processing time is 5 days which means I do not have to ship until 5 days after I receive the payment so I can still use the phone until I receive the new one. I posted the truth and nothing but the truth about the phone and also posted very detailed pictures which people like! I also did a pretty good description.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I would have set a higher minimum bid and waited until closer to iDay. I like to ship immediately so I get good feedback.

Krunk83

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2008
I just posted mine up on eBay I guess I am not aloud to post the link to show you guys to make sure I did everything right but I started the bid at 0.99 cents and I put the auction up for 7 days I know short auctions are better however seven days from today is the 15th in which I can then pre order for the new one and I have processing time is 5 days which means I do not have to ship until 5 days after I receive the payment so I can still use the phone until I receive the new one. I posted the truth and nothing but the truth about the phone and also posted very detailed pictures which people like! I also did a pretty good description.
Yeah, I am not putting mine up until June 21 or so and make it for a 3 day auction. Free shipping and $200 start price. That way when I get my new phone I can ship the old right away. I don't have a back up phone.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
If you have a 3GS, I would start the bidding at $350.

Krunk83

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2008
psylichon said:
If you have a 3GS, I would start the bidding at $350.
Plus it looks like they will only be selling the 8gb 3gs once the 24th comes so the other 3gs (16, 32) will be more valuable. May wait until after iDay.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app