Selling the 4. How will the customer obtain a micro-SIM card?

Discussion in 'iPhone 4' started by {StatuSChecKa}, Sep 19, 2011.

1. {StatuSChecKa}

{StatuSChecKa} Contributor
    Silver

Thinking of selling my 4 because by November I will have a new phone, whether its the next gen iPhone or not.
    How will the customer obtain a micro-sim card without admitting he is using it for an iPhone, so he will not be subject to the data plan..?

Actually I don't even care what he/she is subject to, will AT&T supply him a micro-sim?

2. katelynneemma

katelynneemma Evangelist
    Gold

Should be able to go into any AT&T store and get one.

3. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Or they can use whatever sim card they have and cut it to size.

4. Ltzguy

Ltzguy Zealot
    Gold

You can buy a sim cutter on eBay. It will cut the original sim into a micro sim. Then he can use the phone. But don't worry, I know first hand that he can't cheat AT&T out of knowing he has an iPhone. Somehow it shows up on their network what kind of phone he has. Unless he is an experienced hacker....but with this question being asked...I doubt that's the case. So in short, AT&T will know anyway. I put my sons sim into my wifes 3G iPhone and gave it to him. A couple weeks later he got a text from AT&T saying they are automatically upgrading his plan because he has an iPhone.

5. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Then again I have had an AT&T GoPhone sim card in my 3GS for about 8 months and no AT&T message. Just be sure Data is off and use it for data only when on WiFi.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I've heard that AT&T Go SIMs don't work in iPhones that are running 3.0 and higher. Maybe they started allowing them again? Did you have to unlock it to get it to accept that SIM or did it just automatically work?

7. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Automatically. And I am currently running 4.2.1, though I have had it to 4.3.3. The secret is to never put your GoCard in another phone. The sim card will be locked to the first device you install it in for +/- 6 months.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

So, if the Go SIM was activated in another phone and then placed in the iPhone it wouldn't work? What happens if you remove it, put it in another phone and then put it back in the iPhone? I'm just curious because I have a college who's 3GS (iPad baseband) got stuck in recovery mode after she put a Go SIM in it and I had to restore and unlock it again for her.

9. Magicriggs

Magicriggs New Member

Just go to AT&T and request a micro sim. They free!

10. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

I activated this one in the iPhone. I haven't tried it on another phone yet so can't answer that part. When I first attempted this I already had it in a GoPhone and decided to try the iPhone - without success. I eventually found an AT&T agent who would unlock it for me after I convinced them that I damaged my GoPhone and had to replace it. :ROFLMAO:

11. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

OK. I just put the GoSim in my 2G (3.1.3) and it did NOT work. So this sim locked to my 3GS when I activated it. When I previously had an unlocked GoSim (see above post) I could move it among devices.

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Thanks. It sounds like an AT&T rep has to enable the phone for Go SIM usage.

13. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Actually as I understood it, the AT&T rep unlocked the Sim card so it would work on any phone. They did this remotely while I was on the phone with them.

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

If so, why doesn't it work in your 2G?

15. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

The old GoSim that I had AT&T unlock worked with either (or all) phones. My newest one was activated on the 3GS and will be locked to that device for whatever period of time AT&T locks them. Or I could call and attempt to have it unlocked remotely (or I suppose I could go in, but I'm not sure that the local stores can or will deal with them). But I will only use this on the 3GS so it doesn't really matter to me at this point.