Selling the iPad 2

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

verbalj

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
NYC
I finally took the plunge and upgraded to a new iPad (32GB Air).

Obviously, I want to wipe my iPad 2 to stock form, but I also want to retain firmware 7.0.4 so that it can remain jailbroken.

If I do a full restore, I'll be forced to upgrade to 7.1, correct? I don't want to do that, so my only option is what, SemiRestore and iLEX RAT?

If that is the case, does anyone here have any experience with either of these? Preferences? Which one is better? Do you consider it safe to sell an iDevice that's only been near-wiped by SemiRestore and iLEX RAT?

Thanks in advance!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
If I "Reset all content and settings," will that force me to upgrade to ios 7.1?
You can't Erase All Content And Settings on a jailbroken phone. The jailbreaks disable it. It used to result in getting stuck at the boot logo before they started disabling it as part of the jailbreak. Doing so on a stock phone does not upgrade the firmware. You can, however, Reset All Settings on a jailbroken phone, but that doesn't remove any media.

That said, iLEX RAT will remove your media and settings, so Erasing All Content And Settings is not necessary.

verbalj

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
NYC
Thanks for the clarification. The reason I was considering resetting all content and settings is because when I did iLEX RAT, cydia was gone. I tried the jailbreak again, and evasion detected it was already jail broken, so I tried the remedies listed online (like cydia:// in safari) and also starting the evasion jailbreak and then deleting the icon when it gets to the "tap evasion icon" step. None of that worked.

Thought resetting and starting from 7.0.4 scratch would work. Maybe I'll try semi restore