Semi-Restore now available for OS X

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by Rafagon, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Previously only available for Windows and Linux, SemiRestore has now been released for Mac OS X.

The software claims to be able to “restore a jailbroken device to a clean version of the currently installed firmware, but still managing to honor the jailbreak liberation of the device.”

The linked article warns you that “the developer … has also issued an accompany [sic] 'no support' warning, meaning that it has been tested on two Hackintosh machines, and that he won’t offer support if it doesn’t work as intended.”

Gee, that sounds appealing! Where do I sign up? /s

#1 Rafagon, Jun 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Says the non-jailbreaker. :D

3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

But… if I were jailbroken, with terms like those, this is one piece of software I would steer clear from.

Maybe the Windows version is more reliable, since it’s been out longer?—something to keep in mind before you use this! :eek:

4. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Have you ever used a Hackint0sh before? I have. If it works on a Hackint0sh, it'll work on a real Mac.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Actually, if you were a jailbreaker and had any interest whatsoever in retaining your jailbeak, you would use it if you needed to restore, just on the chance that it would work. What would you have to lose? It would definitely be worth a shot. If it didn't work, you could do a regular restore.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

My only regret is that Cydia Impactor (by Saurik) hasn't been updated to work with iOS 9. Now that tweak is the bomb.

7. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Never in my life. I'll take your word for it!

What's with the 0 in the middle of the word? Are you trying to sound 1337? :D

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Binary. Hackers often use a 0 or 1 in their software names to replace a letter O or I. A large percentage of the jailbreaks over the years have had one of them in their names. For example, blackra1n and greenp0ison.

9. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

LOL, thanks, but I know how it works, hehe.

I was just humorously stating that apparently Napoleon is now trying to sound "elite" (1337) or "like a hacker" by suddenly starting to use 0s in place of his Os.

But I'm joking, of course. We all know Napoleon is elite!

10. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

That's usually how it's written. If you played in our sandbox, you'd know this.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List