send contacts to iPhone wirelessly

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Aug 27, 2007
has anyone found a way to do this? either from another phone or bluetooth would be great as iTunes wont work for me....

or, wheres the file itself... if I could transfer it to my PC and edit there, it would be great too

bmustaf

Jul 12, 2007
This is another example of SIMPLE features that were totally ignored on the iPhone that simply infuriates me.

For being so absolutely innovative and groundbreaking the damn platform ignores so many rudimentary functions it's almost as if Apple is playing a very bad joke on all of us.

has anyone found a way to do this? either from another phone or bluetooth would be great as iTunes wont work for me....

or, wheres the file itself... if I could transfer it to my PC and edit there, it would be great too

edmartin

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
This is another example of SIMPLE features that were totally ignored on the iPhone that simply infuriates me.

For being so absolutely innovative and groundbreaking the damn platform ignores so many rudimentary functions it's almost as if Apple is playing a very bad joke on all of us.
I don't disagree that it's a basic function of a Windows or Palm-based PDA. The iPhone has a ways to go to better some of the features on your run-of-the-mill Palm Treo. Then again, the Treo has a long way to go to even think about getting close so many of the features on the iPhone. Are you also posting on the "Everything Treo" forums that Palm should get their media player to have such SIMPLE features as iTunes? I mean come on, the Treo has been around for years and a $79 iPod Shuffle still kicks its butt!

Translation: these are different devices with different features, target markets and priorities for development/enhancement.

bmustaf

Jul 12, 2007
I'm not sure that the target market for this device thinks things like mutlimedia messaging, cut & paste, Flash support, a working speakerphone, a way to turn off EDGE data without killing the whole GSM radio/WiFi/BT stack, and other *phone* features are either low priority or lie outside the set of functionality they want from the iPhone.

I think your contention applies well for things like Exchange support, wireless iCal/etc syncing, etc -- but they're calling it the iPHONE -- it should cover the bases of a phone pretty well.

Don't get me wrong, I love mine, but think it's pretty pathetic that in 2007 a $600 device can't send or receive a picture message, even 2 months after its release.

I don't disagree that it's a basic function of a Windows or Palm-based PDA. The iPhone has a ways to go to better some of the features on your run-of-the-mill Palm Treo. Then again, the Treo has a long way to go to even think about getting close so many of the features on the iPhone. Are you also posting on the "Everything Treo" forums that Palm should get their media player to have such SIMPLE features as iTunes? I mean come on, the Treo has been around for years and a $79 iPod Shuffle still kicks its butt!

Translation: these are different devices with different features, target markets and priorities for development/enhancement.

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
I'm not sure that the target market for this device thinks things like mutlimedia messaging, cut & paste, Flash support, a working speakerphone, a way to turn off EDGE data without killing the whole GSM radio/WiFi/BT stack, and other *phone* features are either low priority or lie outside the set of functionality they want from the iPhone.

I think your contention applies well for things like Exchange support, wireless iCal/etc syncing, etc -- but they're calling it the iPHONE -- it should cover the bases of a phone pretty well.

Don't get me wrong, I love mine, but think it's pretty pathetic that in 2007 a $600 device can't send or receive a picture message, even 2 months after its release.

Did you bother to ask any of these questions or do any research on the iPhone BEFORE buying it?

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
Did you bother to ask any of these questions or do any research on the iPhone BEFORE buying it?
Many people asked many questions about the phone and still came up with surprises when it was used. Think about the MMS statement people are making. If you would ask an Apple rep or an ATT rep "can I take a picture and send it to a friend?" (stated in the way most normal users would ask as opposed to the protocol it uses) they would answer with "you sure can!".

While you cannot argue the "did you ask" statement, you also can fairly assume certain features exist in a "revolutionary" device (I think that is how SJ described it). I think that for many the term "revolutionary" means that certain basic features are present. I personally thought it meant that if you take what is on the market now, looking at what is just below the most advanced, you would know the baseline features of this phone. From there they would add on additional features to make the phone "revolutionary". It is kind of sad that when you go look at a photo that someone MMS'd you that you go to a site that has legacy in the address. That and you cannot directly do anything with that photo from there.

In any case, I am reasonably satisfied with the phone but there are certainly features that appear to be things many people are looking to have added.

bmustaf

Jul 12, 2007
I sure did, and decided to make the sacrifice of these features in light of the simple & innovative features it offers in other places (user experience, iPod features, etc).

My contention is that these two are NOT mutually exclusive! We can enjoy the features, UI, and experience that makes the iPhone the iPhone AND have the core functionality. Especially with every feature that seems to have been ignored can be implemented in software.

Yes, I went into switching to the iPhone knowingly. Mostly because my pains with my previous phones were WORSE than the pains I now have with the iPhone -- but my advocacy in all this is that is doesn't have to be this way. Apple can do better, I tend to see this blind "iPhone has no flaws" mentality equate more with folks buying into the hype and the "iPhone is catering to a different market" as an excuse. They ARE catering to the PHONE market, right (PHONE is 5 of the 6 letters in iPhone, no?)?

In fact, I think the latter argument is SO WEAK it actually runs contrary what those that espouse it intend. For example, edmartin contends that these features weren't included due to target market driving prioritization of development. I ask, then, who is the target market? Sounds to me like it's folks with $400-$600 to drop on a phone that use advanced features/convergence features. Funny enough, that's the same folks that would be most likely to use/need every feature I mention that is missing! The only "market" I could imagine those features wouldn't be used in as a pre-paid phone, a phone marketed at the elderly or the very young (e.g. pre-teen). So, if one is going to continue using this argument they should seriously reconsider what the target market is...because it seems to me that the target market would like these features.

I love my iPhone's new features, I really think it's revolutionary...but unless they have some kind of paradigm shifting move up their sleeve to make the list of aforementioned features unnecessary I can't see why they ignored CORE functionality of a phone while doing such an amazing job with the other convergence items of the platform.

edmartin

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I understand your desire for these features. I'd like them too (and more). But Apple made very distinct (one might say unique) decisions on priorities. The device is what it is and we bought what we bought. I just think it's hypocritical to chastise them for those decisions after we made the decision to buy the device. If people didn't or don't like the implementation of features or the lack of other features, then make your decision with your wallet. Buying in the face of knowing that it doesn't do wireless sync of contacts and then complaining about it is silly. It's like buying a Hummer and complaining that the gas mileage sucks.

Again, I'm not defending the lack of wireless contact syncing on the iPhone nor the crappy gas mileage of the Hummer. But I bought the iPhone with eyes wide open and I don't own a Hummer (for a variety of reasons). My point, however, is that I made those decisions based on what the product is and I'm not going to express ridicule or surprise that it now doesn't do things that I knew it didn't do before I bought it.

bmustaf

Jul 12, 2007
Well, I'll respectfully disagree that we should keep quiet and only act with our wallets.

First, I don't think it's hypocrisy. I bought the iPhone because overall it offered some things my other phones didn't -- but I lost a few features in the transition. Making this choice doesn't make anyone a hypocrite, it just means we're not having our cake and eating it too.

Second, if people don't ask/talk about features they want then we certainly NEVER will get them. Go back and read Apple's comments to financial analysts for their 2Q earnings. It's interesting that they're accounting for all iPhone revenue on an amortized schedule over 12 months under the accounting rationale that they intend to offer future feature enhancements via software and want to commensurate realize the revenue (this is probably a tactic to smooth out RD&E vs. Rev ratioes associated with such development). Clearly, there's continued development. If we want these features there has to be some kind of discussion around it. The recent fervor over the price drop is a great case in point. If the consumer hadn't complained Jobs wouldn't be handing out $100 gift cards to the Apple Store. Some call it the "might of the consumer" in complaining, cynics say Steve had this in his back pocket and was just going to try and get away with it and roll it out if he had to. Either way, if we just "voted with our wallets" and didn't repatronize Apple 2 years later on our next purchase we would never have seen Jobs offer the credit.

Third, it's nothing like buying a Hummer and complaining the gas mileage sucks. It's more like buying a Hummer, the dealer calling it a truck/SUV, only to find out it's chassis and suspension means you can't take it off-road. Not a perfect analogy, either, but fits the situation a lot more concisely.

I, like you, made my decision based on the facts before the announcement. Facts which I deemed to fix a few of my problems but present a few others which were lesser evils. Facts, which as green mentioned, were relatively obscure and obfuscated for the general public, too. Based on the circumstances, although I enjoy the new features on the iPhone and I KNOW I am not legally entitled to anything more than was delivered on my date of purchase, I find it important to air what I think are deficiencies of a product that I would expect more from!

I understand your desire for these features. I'd like them too (and more). But Apple made very distinct (one might say unique) decisions on priorities. The device is what it is and we bought what we bought. I just think it's hypocritical to chastise them for those decisions after we made the decision to buy the device. If people didn't or don't like the implementation of features or the lack of other features, then make your decision with your wallet. Buying in the face of knowing that it doesn't do wireless sync of contacts and then complaining about it is silly. It's like buying a Hummer and complaining that the gas mileage sucks.

Again, I'm not defending the lack of wireless contact syncing on the iPhone nor the crappy gas mileage of the Hummer. But I bought the iPhone with eyes wide open and I don't own a Hummer (for a variety of reasons). My point, however, is that I made those decisions based on what the product is and I'm not going to express ridicule or surprise that it now doesn't do things that I knew it didn't do before I bought it.

LouN

Jan 3, 2008
Why did you delete your only 3 posts in 3 threads?
I posted about SyncJe for iPhone, which is an app that wirelessly syncs calendar, contacts, and notes. I did it prior to reading the forum rules, so erased it as not to be banned.

I contacted the forum owner about how to go about it better.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I posted about SyncJe for iPhone, which is an app that wirelessly syncs calendar, contacts, and notes. I did it prior to reading the forum rules, so erased it as not to be banned.

I contacted the forum owner about how to go about it better.

Thank you for following instructions...no Screendoor with knob for you..

Aug 27, 2007
The nexthaus client doesn't work for syncing iPhone to zyb.com. Ive already been in touch with their support team who opened a ticket, but nothings happened yet. Ive been trying since the 0.95 beta

Boosted_Brian

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
I think many people are reading to much into the original question. All that was asked was: "Is there a way to get contacts on the iPhone wirelessly?" The answer is simply YES. All you have to do is break out the old thumbs and enter them manually. All the while this requires no wires. See the answer was right under your nose!

Aug 27, 2007
I think many people are reading to much into the original question. All that was asked was: "Is there a way to get contacts on the iPhone wirelessly?" The answer is simply YES. All you have to do is break out the old thumbs and enter them manually. All the while this requires no wires. See the answer was right under your nose!
funny. seeing as I posted the original question, Im pretty confident that Im not reading too much into it

LouN

Jan 3, 2008
The nexthaus client doesn't work for syncing iPhone to zyb.com. Ive already been in touch with their support team who opened a ticket, but nothings happened yet. Ive been trying since the 0.95 beta
Yes we are aware that there are currently issues syncing with some servers and are investigating.

Our other clients do work with zyb (they ask people to use our Outlook client here, so it is probably something minor that was missed so far. We will get it working... thank you for your patience.

Aug 27, 2007
Yes we are aware that there are currently issues syncing with some servers and are investigating.

Our other clients do work with zyb (they ask people to use our Outlook client here, so it is probably something minor that was missed so far. We will get it working... thank you for your patience.

Any news on this Lou?